Waterbury 60 S. Spring

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Watchmaker51, Oct 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Watchmaker51

Watchmaker51 New Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a Waterbury 60 Deadbeat Regulator that my Dad had replaced the Suspension Spring in after the original cracked.. He didn't have the right weight sheet material to make the new spring out of and the pendulum wobbled when it ran. He has since passed away and I inherited the clock. I have had the clock for about 3.5 years and just cleaned and oiled it. The wobble is even worse. What gauge material should I use to make a new spring .006 ? Does anyone have the correct dimensions for the spring? He was a watchmaker for 60 years.

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The wobble is almost certainly caused by something other than the spring. Check the crutch. It needs to be parallel to the floor, and not so tight that it restricts movement.

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    and it also needs to be perpendicular to the movement plate. The spring can cause a wobble if it is bent or damaged, but most wobbles I have found result from the crutch lined up to push the pendulum in a different direction than it naturally wants to swing. That can also be the case if the pendulum suspension spring isn't perpendicular to the movement plate, and where the pendulum is suspended from a bracket in the case and the movement is not positioned straight in the case.

RC

5. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC's Message Board Watchmaker51.

That's a beautiful clock you've inherited. Sounds like it's in very good hands.
    In addition to what's already been discussed, if it is at all possible to carefully disengage the Crutch Wire from the pendulum, I would suggest that you do so to see if the pendulum swings true without it. If it does, you know the problem is with the Crutch orientation/impulse. If it still wobbles, then there is a problem with your suspension.

Once again, welcome and good luck,

Bruce

6. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmm. I never thought of doing that when diagnosing pendulum wobble.

I suppose it's possible that I never thought of doing such a test because my hands are so unsteady., for occasionally I'll start a clock, notice some pendulum wobble, and then the wobble will disappear as things settle down. You have to release it without jittering it around.

When Foucault built his pendulum out of a cannon ball suspended from a very long piano wire in Paris he pulled the ball over to its starting point and tied it there with a thin string. Then he let everything settle down overnight to assure that all vibrations in the system had died down. He then released the ball by burning through the string, thus avoiding all mechanical contact with the device. [I might add that I consider that perhaps the most elegant experiment/demonstration of all time. The plane of the pendulum's swing appears to rotate, but the change is due to the earth rotating beneath it.]

Mark Kinsler

7. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had an occasion to attempt this approach on a New Haven Banjo (as I recall). It's pendulum suspension was supported by a bracket attached to the back of the case. The Crutch wire extended into a brass reinforced slot in the Pendulum Rod so it was relatively easy to disengage it to test the Pendulum's swing. There was a problem with the Suspension in this case.