Watchmaker's lathe

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
I am looking for a Watchmaker's lathe to do pivot work (re-pivoting/pivot polishing) I would appreciate any info and where I may find one. Thanks

Don

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
I am looking for a Watchmaker's lathe to do pivot work (re-pivoting/pivot polishing) I would appreciate any info and where I may find one. Thanks

Don

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Have you tried the emart?

Q

qmdm

Here you go. Be sure to check out the antique section, but please don't spread the word too much or prices could go through the roof.

Robert Gary

Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Doug:

Timesavers sells a Taig lathe in their catalog.

The difficulty in findinag and affording a good jeweler's lathe is the reason many buy a miniature lathe like the Sherline.

Timesavers sells them, as does Sherline.com, and antiqueclockworksltd.com.

My Sherline works just fine for pivot work.

RobertG

L

lunacie

My suggestion would be to attend an NAWCC meeting or mart, and look at the lathes offered there for sale. Last time around I picked up my latest lathe, a mint condition boley complete with headstock, levered tailstock, and a full set of chucks in original Boley wooden box for under $1000.

Levins are great, too, there's a number of them for sale on ebay right now, some of them look REALLY nice and well worth bidding on.

regards,

john t.

DavidEFahrenholz

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
My experience is as follows: we needed a replacement lathe and I attempted to secure an older Boley etc. What I found price wise is the ones you can almost afford need lots of work (I mean lots!)and uless you have the time and skill you may want to try checking out a new style. As mentioned the ones I checked out are the Taig, Sherline, some imports and some in the MSC catalog. For the money I went with the Sherline and it works well if you know how to cut for comp.

The one that MSC has is my next purchase. It has better runout and more precise controls. As much as I would like a Bergeon or a similar model the expenditure is not economical to us at this point but I will get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff