watchmaker lathe

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by jimmy52, May 3, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jimmy52

jimmy52 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 9, 2011
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    I have been looking for a lathe on e bay and have difficulty making a selection from a picture it is like buying a pig in a poke. I can not afford to buy a defective lathe. Any advise?

2. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Buy WW compliant lathe. The reason is WW type lathes can use other manufacture WW collets. So your not stuck scouring the web for hard to find collets.

Btw, most repairs don't require a crosslide or a tailstock collet holder.

But one item that is extra you might want to find is a countershaft. The normal watchmaker lathe requires a countershaft so to reduce the cutting speed and increase the torque. Too fast does not cut good.

The only other thing I can think of besides that is to always ask for the numbers on the bottom side of headstock, tailstock and lathe bed. They should all match. If the headstock and tailstock don't match numberwise, then it's not a precise fit.

If you ever plan to work on watches, you can imagine how bad it would be if your headstock and tailstock where not exactly the same height.

RJ

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't look for a good lathe at a cheap price. Go with a lathe you can trust, and buy it from someone who used it and is retiring. You might end up with three lathes before you find the one you want otherwise!

4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's possible to find a good lathe on eBay. Follow the suggestions above, and use your gut - from the pictures, does it look like it's in good condition, or is it a rusted pile of junk? Get one that shows as little corrosion as possible. When you get it, tear it down and overhaul it. I posted a synopsis of the overhaul procedure from Archie Perkins' book in the thread linked below. The process is danged straightforward, and crawling around in the guts of the lathe lets you see where it falls on the spectrum between "good" and "junk". The one that I got was exactly as pictured, but sluggish from old lubricants. After overhauling, it runs flawlessly and is dead-on straight. I'm going to build a countershaft for it. There are a couple of listings on eBay for sheaves that'll do the step-down, and it'll be simple to mount a 3/8" shaft for the sheaves. Of course, it's possible for a scumbag to swipe the pictures from another listing, and ship you a corroded hulk, but my Pollyanna nature makes me assume that most people are going to be honest (in carefully controlled situations (where they have no other choice (and the consequences of dishonesty are catastrophic (and their mothers are watching ;))))). Anyway, here's the link to the other thread. Happy hunting!

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?76437-replace-bearings-in-Levin-lathe&p=615545#post615545

5. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. moe1942

moe1942 Registered User

Oct 25, 2010
    retired USAF Etc..
    Alexandria, La
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What does your budget allow. I'll help you look.

7. jimmy52

jimmy52 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 9, 2011
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Hi I am back to the board my father has been ill on a side note he has been a watchmaker and clock maker for 65 years an continues to be my mentor he is doing better but this has been a long week.
    I want thank all for your advise. Moe my budget is 600.00 any help would be appreciated JIM

8. Clockguy

Clockguy Registered User

Jul 9, 2011
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jimmy, I wish your father well in his illness and hope he recovers with minimal care. My mentor is also very "senior", he is 86 and is on his 5th pacemaker but he still specializes in watches only!! His hands are deformed with arthritis and I do most all of his large clock repairs for him now as he only wants to work on that teeny little watch stuff!! It scares me to change a battery in any of my watches let alone tear them down, clean them, and do all the needed repairs to them as Sam can do!!

Regarding your quest, I found a beautiful Peerless watchmaker's lathe on Craigslist last year when I ran a national search for "watchmaker's lathe" on their search engine. It shows almost no wear and the flip over rest has been moved so little in its life that it is still stiff as a new tool rest! No pulley chips, no bearing wear at all, everything works, came with a motor, Borel lathe stand, and other goodies that the man also included. He and I talked on the phone for an hour and he decided I was going to be the next owner of this lathe as he wanted it to go to a repair person who would appreciate the quality and condition of this lathe which he bought new in the mid-60's. He made me a gift of the shipping and I bought that lathe for under $300.00. I am not trying to impress anybody but rather, if I had any point to make to you, it is to not be in a hurry to buy from eBay or any place else. There are still very good lathes out there that have been well maintained and cherished by their owners if you take the time and are creative in your methodology of searching for just the right equipment.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you eventually find. If you want to see a photo or two of what I waited for, let me know and I will be glad to give you some incentive!! :D

9. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    CG, I was wondering how you do your national search on craigslist..? The best I have done is search with Google in following format

XXXXXXXX site:craigslist.org

Where XXXXXX is the item name I am searching for. But results are kinda mixed at best.

Any tips/info apreciated.

10. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

11. jimmy52

jimmy52 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 9, 2011
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    thanks never seen so many in one place I have something to do on the 2nd

12. Watchfixer

Watchfixer Registered User

Jun 11, 2011
    TV repair tech.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh aw, all those juicy stuff on skinner's... :O But they requires getting there and pick up. I can't do that.

Cheers, Watchfixer

13. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Probably just as well you guys can't get there. I'd have to be in a straight-jacket.

Johnny