• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Watchmaker lathe collet die

abiello

Mar 12, 2014
I need a .268 v 40 die to cleanup up some Peerless and Boley collet threads. Dos anyone have a source for this die? Thanks

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
Try looking for a 0.275 x 40. Amazon has them listed, as does eBay. I've made several collets and a couple of drawbars with the tap and die I have of that size, and they all work well with all my collets and associated WW gizmos.

Glen

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Wow. That is the nicest split die I've ever seen. Beats driving a wedge into the slot!

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Georg Gottwald has a lot of tools made to his specifications, reproducing old lathe stuff. He is not the youngest anymore, I hope his business will stay in business for a while still ...

Reactions: Betzel

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
His specs are better than all the rest, except maybe Bergeon, but I will never know. Never (ever) been disappointed. I hope he has someone to take over?

nw10

May 25, 2021
Country
The German supplier GG-Tools has tap+die sets made for various lathe manufacturers, here's the Boley one: SCHNEIDEISEN für 8mm Uhrmacherdrehbank 6,85x0,625
Following some advice from Wefalck and Betzel some months back I had a bookmark for just that same die on the GG Tools ebay shop. In the end I went to RGD tools (I am in the UK) and bought this
Model Engineering and engineering tools online from RDG Tools Ltd Home Page (Engineering Tools) Tel 01422 885069 /884605 - it seemed to do the job. But likely not as good quality as GG tools.

But looking at GG tools on ebay now there is nothing in the shop area / see other items. Maybe he is just concentrating on his main website?

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
He seems to go back and forth and I have bought via both doorways. Sometimes his website is down for work, and I guess he has to pay ebay a hefty cut. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive, and his quality is high, but his market is pretty small. RDG is okay for a lot of stuff, but their live centers are nowhere as good as Georg's are.

And 7.00mm means 7.00mm across the length (I use a Geneva) it measures up like the main bar of the lathe, end to end, but I don't see the small grinding marks. I wonder how he has it done...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cris
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-