Watches stolen at North Coast Regional. Sentimental watches...help.

Discussion in 'Lost or Stolen Horological Items' started by Logan Joo, May 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Logan Joo

Logan Joo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2015
    #1 Logan Joo, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    I attended the North Coast Regional this past weekend and although it was a very successful selling show, I had several watches stolen. If anyone wants the name of who it was I'll gladly plaster his name all over the place because I'm not happy.

I had set up at the tailgate in which I didn't even know I would be doing so I didn't take any tables. I had numerous cleaning machines, and a case full of watches. I opened the hatch and there were like 50 guys swarm around it. Then I looked over and saw the thief reaching in my case of watches looking at stuff. My plan was to sit some machines on the pavement and put my case on the tailgate of the car. I went around and said "let me get in here and get my case". Then another man asked about a machine. The guy stood there and looked through my case for probably 20 minutes but I was being bombarded with other buyers. Finally he comes walking around the corner with my case in his hands, all the stuff falling to one corner and then he sets it on the group and starts looking again.

Long story short as the day progressed I found out I had a hamilton 992 "very sentimental watch" stolen, a hunter case Howard that again was sentimental. A Waltham crescent street RR watch that again was sentimental. 2 verge fusee watches from around 1790 that were stolen and a silver Chinese bracelet. God only knows what else he walked away with. He looked for 30 minutes and never bought a single thing.

To make matters worse, a friend of mine in the parking lot had an 18k Omega chronograph pocket watch stolen.

Now one may ask why I had sentimental watches in my case, well I was going to pull them out before I started selling. But he beat me to them.

As I was inside selling, there were 4-5 other guys approach me about that guy and how they were watching him. I hadn't said a word to them. And to put the final nail in the coffin, a guy told me that he had come up trying to sell him a verge fusee watch that matched the exact description of one that was stolen from me.

He's been known to be very rude and talk trash to everyone's items. Other guys saw him looking at watches and always was putting his hands in and out of his pockets.

I hope something is done about this as he goes to all the Regional shows. And if he stole from me, he'll do it again.

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would hope you did call the police.
    And can give them a good description of what was taken.

3. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've removed the name of the fellow. We are not going to be used to slander another member. Many regionals don't allow tailgate sales, perhaps that should be considered for this show also.

4. Logan Joo

Logan Joo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Not exactly slander if he stole my watches but I understand his name shouldn't be thrown out there. If anyone is curious I can send it in a private message. The police were actually there as security and I let them know what wasn't taken but nothing was really done. He ended up leaving before I could find him to say anything.

5. Bryan Eyring

Bryan Eyring Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Medical Product Design Engineer
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very unfortunate and discouraging. Unfortunately, while every precaution is taken by NCR security to monitor the actual show, we have very little control over the tailgate.

The outdoor and open nature of the event makes it very difficult to monitor and secure.

If you have not already done so I would highly recommend that you file a report with Kirtland police to document what occurred. My guess is you will need this, at minimum, for claim (assuming you have insurance).

Were you able to get in contact with the suspected individual?

I would also like to add that our shows typically have very few thefts - up until this year we've had dual public day with no issue over the last 3-4 years. Reality is we have the most trouble with our own conniving members! :mad:

Hope you are able to get this matter resolved....

6. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a problem with why someone would let a mob of people start grabbing their stuff... something fishy about this story.

Robert

7. PKavana265@aol.com

PKavana265@aol.com Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 24, 2010
    That exact situation happen to me... I always take some one with me, I literally had to physically stop the individual

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    It is also possible that there was more than one person involved.
    One would take thing while someone else would distract you.
    Tinker Dwight