Watch Tool dimensions

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by watchtinker, Feb 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. watchtinker

watchtinker Registered User

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me the dimensions for a few items.
    First off, I need the dimensions of a set of bench keys. Just the square part of each end will be fine.
    Secondly, it would be great if someone could give me the diameter of an 8mm peerless lathe face plate.
    Thanks

2. Ticktinker

Ticktinker Registered User

Jul 7, 2015
    Male
    Construction Inspector
    Houston Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Fellow Tinker,
    .6 mm .70 mm .75 mm .90 mm 1.15 mm and 1.4 mm,
    These have worked for me from 5/0 size to 18 size movements.
    You should really search for and find a manufactured multi head bench key, Sometimes getting it off the shelf is worth the money spent.
    I have filed some round stock into the larger sizes, but they tend to be a bit concentric, and tend to be poor for use when put into a pin chuck.
    With a key that runs out of center, you can make errors in letting a movement down or in winding a piece you are testing.
    Good luck what ever your avenue of action.

3. watchtinker

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much. Over the summer once I get out of school I want to try to make these tools as a CNC project to learn how to use the machines.

4. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    I don't have a Peerless lathe face plate. But I do have an unnamed one (8mm) that has a diameter of 98mm. This doesn't fit on my Geneva style lathes so I made a gap bed for it.

I have since acquired a pair of Lorch Schmidt face plates and these have a diameter of 79mm. These came with a 6mm Geneva style headstock.

Hope that helps.

Sharukh

5. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day!

Over the years one either acquires or makes a set of PW bench keys, mine were made over time, not all at once, but per need. Handles are 2" long and are made from hex brass stock 0.200" AF. Dimensions of working ends are shown on the image below, stamped on the end of the handle, expressed in 1/100 mm. The first one that I made, marked 120, differs from the rest as I used a broken off winding stem to make it from.

All the rest were made later and all were made from blued steel plus I tried to keep them similar to each other.

Cheers,

Dushan

?temp_hash=de80eb9d9236144fbfefe1e8c960628b.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Dushan,
    Those are very nice bench keys! Bergeon could not do any better.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Allan

7. watchtinker

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much for the picture Dushan. I have one question, how did you hold the tips in the handles? Is it a press fit?

8. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day!

Thanks for the praise!

However, You got me embarrassed now. I've made these bench keys for personal use thus I stamped the numbers freehand, I didn't bother with making a fixture to get all the digits equally spaced. I never got a pantograph out of lack of space in the workshop.

Tips are threaded and screwed into the handles. I tempered the non working end just enough to be able to use thread cutting die, just like when making a winding stem. The brass handles are also threaded, and the bits are screwed and secured with Loctite #243 to make sure they hold properly.

Cheers,

Dushan