Watch Ticks Hands Don't Move?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by popeye, Nov 4, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. popeye

popeye Registered User

May 8, 2005
    Country Flag:
    I have two watches(old Gruens). One was working fine, but now it ticks but the hands do not move when wearing it. If I lay it down it keeps time. Another one ticks and hands do move at times. What is the problem and how can it be fixed. If needs repair, any ballpark figure on cost? Help, as always, appreciated, thanks.

2. popeye

popeye Registered User

May 8, 2005
    Country Flag:
    I have two watches(old Gruens). One was working fine, but now it ticks but the hands do not move when wearing it. If I lay it down it keeps time. Another one ticks and hands do move at times. What is the problem and how can it be fixed. If needs repair, any ballpark figure on cost? Help, as always, appreciated, thanks.

3. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the watch keeps running while this happens then the canon pinion that the minuite hand mounts on is probably slipping due to being too loose and needing adjusted. Another possible cause would be hands touching crystal, dial, or each other. One more would be the teeth and/or leaves of the motion works fouling. The problem should be tracable through observation. The cost of repair would depend on exactly what the problem is.