Watch Suggestion

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
If you were to purchase a new watch today, as a gift, and based on the following criteria, what would you purchase?

Self winding (obviously mechanical)
To be worn by an Engineer (technically oriented person)
Used regularly
Cost range $2-3,000

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Thank you very much,
SamS

SIMPLEX

Apr 25, 2010
Virginia
Country
An engineer would appreciate the qualities of a work watch. Look @ Sinn (pronounced zin) U series watches for starters @ watchbuys.com, Sinn is a great German brand and an incredible bargain. The people at Watchbuys.com (Tim and Rob) are very easy to work with.

Archimedes, Laco, pilot watches, Omega as well. Look at some of the watches from IWC as well. They can get pricey, but they have some watches in the $3K range an engineer would probably like. Breitling is another technical watch (a little busy for my taste).

You want something durable, on a strap or bracelet w/ a deployment clasp, SS steel or titanium (a little soft but the metal is self healing to a degree).

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
The engineers that I know tend to be very anal-compulsive and accuracy freaks. Such a person might be better served by a quartz watch.

Of course I might be wrong and the engineer might be turned-on by the complexity of a mechanical watch, especially a chronograph. If so look at an Omega Speedmaster.

AbslomRob

Jun 21, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
www.abslomrob.com
Country
Region
Frankly, I wouldn't buy a new watch. The mechancials made in the 60's tend to be better made, are more "interesting" and don't have the price tag associated with them that modern watches do. For +$1000, you can get a very high quality vintage watch with a warranty, as long as you aren't obsessed with getting a big name like Rolex, Omega or JLC.

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Frankly, I wouldn't buy a new watch. The mechancials made in the 60's tend to be better made, are more "interesting" and don't have the price tag associated with them that modern watches do. For +$1000, you can get a very high quality vintage watch with a warranty, as long as you aren't obsessed with getting a big name like Rolex, Omega or JLC.
SamS,

If you are interested in a vintage watch, your budget will easily cover models from Rolex, Omega or JLC.

If you are leaning towards a new watch, the co-axial escapement Omega's are nice, as are some of current offerings from Ball, IWC and Zenith.

Regards,

Cary

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
Thanks Folks, all very helpful. Please keep the thoughts coming.

Thank you,
SamS

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
I would suggest a used Rolex, Sub or GMT. The watch is mechanically superior, keeps decent time and with servicing will do so for the next few generations. It is also waterproof, rugged and retains value. The fact that you can walk into any pawn shop on the planet and the guy will know what it is and what it is worth is unique. Rolex really does make a good watch and used, it almost approaches its true value.

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
We are considering a new Longines (model 26734783) and would appreciate any comments relating to the quality and or issues with Longines products.

Thank you very much,
SamS

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Nice watch! If I were spending 2-3K on a present, I think I would want the recipients input on the final purchase so that it doesn’t sit in a drawer because it is the wrong style/color, etc..JMHO

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
We know exactly what he likes; leather strap, observation back, mechanical / self wind, finely finished movement, moon dial, calander dials, etc.

He has a friend with an Omega something like this which he really admires.

gruesome

Jan 26, 2011
Chicago
Country
Region
Hi Sam, that's a very nice looking watch, and it certainly has enough buttons and hands and dials to keep an engineer entertained! I assume it has an ETA 7751 movement. I was going to suggest a less well known brand with the same movement, but if you can get this Longines just above $2000, then there is no reason for that.

I have an Ernst Benz 'Chronolunar' (same movement, same number of buttons & dials ;)) that I am very happy with and would have recommended for inclusion in your 7751 comparison shopping; I particularly like the legibility of the dial. Fun facts: Benz (the company, not the person) sits in Detroit, but the watches are (or at least were; I think one of their factories closed recently) assembled by the von Burg conglomerate, of CL888 fame.

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
LCheapo and Grant,

Thanks for the comments about the Longines watch. Also interesting about to ready and research the history / status of the ETA 7751 movement. Sounds like that movement is used in a lot of watches and seems to have a pretty good reputation.

Sam S

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iandb
Encyclopedia Pages