Watch Staking Tool ?

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by gocush, May 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gocush

gocush Registered User

Jun 24, 2016
    Olympia, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found this tool at a flea market yesterday for a couple bucks. It resembles (only this is much smaller) a staking tool that James Lea, "The Village Clockmaker" showed on one of his YouTube videos.

Is it a staking tool for watch repair?

[​IMG]

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
  3. gocush

gocush Registered User

Jun 24, 2016
    Olympia, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Or should I just pull on the handle and see if I can draw a pint -- or a couple drops for a liliputian?

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    :)

You will need the stakes to go with it. That will be why you didn't have to pay much for it.

5. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    Real Estate Broker on hiatus
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For a couple of bucks you did fine, especially if "a couple" means two. As roughbarked said, you'll need the stakes, but those can be had. You might sell it to someone who has a standard, non-inverting, anvil. It would be an upgrade for them. Yours is a type of "Inverto" (K&D) with which you can use stakes as stumps. This means the stake can drop in through the top, business side up, and drop through a hole in the table and into that receiver in the bottom. That way the stake becomes the become the stump, which is the bottom part.