Watch papers (verge J Jackson, Marden 1862)

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by novicetimekeeper, Apr 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was asked to post these ages ago in a thread I can't find.

Anyway here they are. I was going through things to sell and decided to keep this. It is late for a verge, explaining its good condition, obviously well cared for in its earlier life judging by the service history on the papers. I bought it because of the history and that's why I'm keeping it, but thought I'd share.

Doesn't have the elegance of earlier dials and has a hefty weight with a matching hefty dial crack but other than needing a good clean and service, it runs a bit and stops.

Earlier pendants rotated I believe, this one shows no sign of a repair but also no signs of ever rotating, did they give that up later?

DSC_1209.JPG DSC_1208.JPG DSC_1210.JPG DSC_1211.JPG DSC_1212.JPG DSC_1215.JPG DSC_1216.JPG DSC_1217.JPG DSC_1218.JPG

Keith R..., viclip and John Matthews like this.
  2. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nick - I do like these watchpapers and the history they record - well worth being a keeper.

By 1862/3 the pendant would not rotate, others will know when that style ceased better than me, but I think it was more common in the C18th. I tried to find Jackson of Marden (Kent), but no luck I'm afraid. The case maker's mark is G.J.O in a cartouche with cut corners - George John Oliphant of Lower Dorchester Place, registered the mark in December 1856 and again in July 1868.

John

Keith R... likes this.
  3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    oh well Dorchester is the County town of Dorset, so even better :)

Yes I think a keeper, the case is in very good condition, the button on the outer works well, everything snaps together nicely. Shame about the cracked dial but apart from that very tidy I think.

There was a whole load of Jackson clockmakers in Kent but they all seem to have petered out in the 1830s. Jackson continues to be a family name in Marden and Cranbrook ( a few miles away) so this chap must be in there somewhere.

Keith R... likes this.
  4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick,

Watches early in the 17th century (and before) were usually designed to be worn on a ribbon or chain around the neck, so the bows were orientated to allow this. Towards the end of the century the bows and pendants were made to rotate, and this continued well into the 18th century, (at least into the late 1760s), on those small squat pendants with flat disc tops, but when the fashions changed and pendants became longer they were fixed in place. Later, towards the end of the 19th century, there were various patented pendants which did swivel, with the intention of thwarting snatch thieves; Fred Thoms made some fine examples.

Regards,

Graham

John Matthews and Keith R... like this.