Watch newbie looking for help

HistorySeeker

Jun 19, 2021
Country
I cant find any information regarding this pocket watch. Not that i have much experience for looking either. But this is nice mystery to search i bought this from 50$ at auction. Its allways fun to search was it good or bad deal.
thanks for any possible help

image.jpg image.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

Your post will do better in the correct pocket watch forum. A moderator can move it for you - please don't start another thread as it becomes confusing.

JTD

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Well, your "Empress" gold-filled case was made by a Canadian company out of Toronto, Ontario known as the American Watch Case Company.

Your movement seems to be Swiss-made however the photograph is a bit fuzzy so I'm unable to see details clearly.

It would be helpful if you could also post a photograph of the dial.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum!

Your watch movement is what is called a "Swiss Fake". These were made to look like nice domestic movements but are inexpensively made and often had misleading or completely untrue marks in them. In your case I highly doubt the watch has 21 functional jewels. See this nice article from the forums encyclopedia.

Vic explained your case, but here is an article on the company. There were two American watch case companies, yours applies to the Canadian maker.

As far as good or bad deal...does the watch run? Are the dial and hands in nice shape? I can't tell what condition the case is in from the pictures either, but if it's not worn down to the brass and the watch runs and looks good than I'd say your fine. If you like it, $50 is certainly an acceptable price for a complete watch with a gold filled case.

Have a good day!

Reactions: viclip

HistorySeeker

Jun 19, 2021
Country
Well, your "Empress" gold-filled case was made by a Canadian company out of Toronto, Ontario known as the American Watch Case Company.

Your movement seems to be Swiss-made however the photograph is a bit fuzzy so I'm unable to see details clearly.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

HistorySeeker

Jun 19, 2021
Country
I hope those photos were little better.. at the back where is crown and on top of it text empress and below crown is A.W.C.Co and
Following numers in V shape 1609483.
Also at the rim there is series of numbers 09483.

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
From the photo of the back of the case, it seems to be in very good condition. Depending on its size I'd say that the case is probably worth $50 alone, assuming there are no issues with it.

You didn't mention the size of the watch/case, just wondering ...

The dial & hands look to be in good shape. Note additionally to what Rick said above, that below the seconds subdial the dial indicates "Swiss".

All in all you got yourself a nice Swiss watch which will make a fine daily carry (assuming that all is in order & that you have it cleaned/oiled/adjusted plus have any issues taken care of which may be found during servicing).

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
How does the watch run?

In looking at the photo of the balance wheel area, it seems that the rear part of the regulator indicator (the "pointer") is missing.

If so, I'd expect the watch to lose time.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi HistorySeeker,
In looking at the photo of the balance wheel area, it seems that the rear part of the regulator indicator (the "pointer") is missing.
Yes, it appears to be, that's the part which should have the index pins in it to alter the effective length of the balance spring. The balance spring itself looks rather disorderly and in that state the watch may not run at all.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: MrRoundel

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I agree that the hairspring situation makes it unlikely the watch is keeping good time, if running at all.
I'm wondering if the watch is hiding a different looking, gilt-finished, movement under the top plate? Jerry T. has posted about a watch he found that had an added plate that was screwed onto the "actual" functioning plate. The depth around the visible jewels makes it look that way.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi MrRoundel,
I'm wondering if the watch is hiding a different looking, gilt-finished, movement under the top plate? Jerry T. has posted about a watch he found that had an added plate that was screwed onto the "actual" functioning plate. The depth around the visible jewels makes it look that way.
I'm sure you're right, and I wouldn't be surprised if the actual jewel count doesn't tally with what's engraved on that false top plate, (which has no technical function). As we know, in genuine watches the visible jewels on the top plate should have matching mates in the pillar plate under the dial, but in these watches they often don't; just another aspect of the deception I'm afraid.

Regards,

Graham

GaryWoodward

Jan 26, 2021
Country
The challenge for each successive owner, is to just enjoy the watch for what it is, and not worry too much about all the things that it isn't. It has a charm all of its own.
Agree - Wise words that can be applied in much of life.

Reactions: Old rookie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ksaylor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller