Watch Master Pivot Master Instructions

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
I am hoping someone may have a copy of the instructions for a Pivot Master (Made by Watch Master) they would be willing to send to me. I just acquired this tool, but it doesn't include the instructions. Thanks so much!!!

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
I am reaching out to my mentor to see if he has any leads too. If I can get my hands on the instructions, or he and I can work out how to use it, I'll share.

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
I am reaching out to my mentor to see if he has any leads too. If I can get my hands on the instructions, or he and I can work out how to use it, I'll share.
Thank you,
I think I know how it works, but it must be for very small watches, I guess you have to drill the arbor free hand. The ones I have seen on line sometimes don't have all of the pieces to it. Here is a picture of the carrier where the balance would sit. The rubber roller on the inside spins it. Looks like with it you can re-pivot without a lathe, just this machine. Sorry the pictures may not be very clear.

100_5181.JPG 100_5182.JPG 100_5183.JPG 100_5184.JPG

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
Thank you,
I think I know how it works, but it must be for very small watches, I guess you have to drill the arbor free hand. The ones I have seen on line sometimes don't have all of the pieces to it. Here is a picture of the carrier where the balance would sit. The rubber roller on the inside spins it. Looks like with it you can re-pivot without a lathe, just this machine. Sorry the pictures may not be very clear.

View attachment 718382 View attachment 718383 View attachment 718384 View attachment 718385
Finally I found something on the pivot master. In the American horologist and jeweler February 1958 on the back cover, an ad for the machine. It says you can straighten 9 out of 10 bent pivots, says it is invaluable for pivot examination too. So it appears the machine is just for straightening pivots?

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
I found this quote from Steve Maddox from 2001, who it appears is no longer active in the forums:

"I personally like a little machine called a "Pivot Master." It was made by Watch Master, the people who used to make the large cylinder-type timing machines. This little gizmo has a very small electric motor, which is self contained, and powers an assembly holding a complete balance. The entire tool comes in a nice wooden box, about the size of a small staking tool, and while they aren't terribly common, I do see them offered for sale occasionally. The "wear points" to look for on these are the holes through which the pivots rotate; these can (and do) become enlarged if the tool is improperly operated."

I had seen at one point a photo of the instructions someone used for their ebay listing, but I think it has been since deleted. I'll keep digging!

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
Thank you,

View attachment 718382 View attachment 718383 View attachment 718384 View attachment 718385
Hi Drickett1,

Drilling a 0.2mm hole up a 0.5mm arbor, properly centred and without breaking the drill, really isn't something to attempt freehand . . .

Regards,

Graham
Hey Graham,
Looks like the pivot master is only for straightening pivots. I usually use fixtures for drilling arbors. Thanks

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I can't find teh instructiona and I am nto sure I had them. I susoect the problem is htat you do not have the complete tool.

Here is the package

DSCF7057.png DSCF7058.png

The complete kit has several runners and several plates. The tricky part is mounting the wheel with the pivot. The back pivot goes into the runner. The armm can hold the work close enough that you can place the disk. I recall that slide the plate around until you get the pivot in place.

The black plastic knob rotates the work by hand.

This is a kind of pivot lathe with two improvements over the classic Dorrit/Levin. The first is the motor which turns the work freeing a hand. It uses a rubber clutch which by now is rock hard. I suggest you turn the work by hand with the blavck knob to straighten a pivot. The motor is better for polishing pivots.

The other part is the microscope. It can be rotated into a comfortable position. It is to watch the work as you work the pivot.

The complete tool includes the microscope several runners and disks as well a pivot gauge.

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
I can't find teh instructiona and I am nto sure I had them. I susoect the problem is htat you do not have the complete tool.

Here is the package

View attachment 718734 View attachment 718735

The complete kit has several runners and several plates. The tricky part is mounting the wheel with the pivot. The back pivot goes into the runner. The armm can hold the work close enough that you can place the disk. I recall that slide the plate around until you get the pivot in place.

The black plastic knob rotates the work by hand.

This is a kind of pivot lathe with two improvements over the classic Dorrit/Levin. The first is the motor which turns the work freeing a hand. It uses a rubber clutch which by now is rock hard. I suggest you turn the work by hand with the blavck knob to straighten a pivot. The motor is better for polishing pivots.

The other part is the microscope. It can be rotated into a comfortable position. It is to watch the work as you work the pivot.

The complete tool includes the microscope several runners and disks as well a pivot gauge.

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
Dr. Jon,
Thank you so much for the info. I do have everything, I have 3 arbors and four disks, just no instructions, I also have the scope which is very good with a good light. There were also 2 allen keys. When I saw the ad for the machine I figured out it was for straightening pivots and that it probably would be good for polishing. The rubber wheel on the inside is still soft, that is amazing after all these years. The partial instructions that Dave had said to turn the black knob by hand and carefully try to straighten the pivot with tweezers. So no instructions, but good info anyway. Watchmaster must not have sold a lot of these machines, because there dosen't seem to be a lot of them out there. Thank you so much again.

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
Thanks so much for this info Dr. Jon! My kit has 3 discs, 2 arbors, allen keys, and scope. I don't have the pivot gauge, and the circular part that goes around the main opening is loose and doesn't look like it tightens on mine. I'll attach pics when I get home this evening. Hoping someone has those instructions lying around, or I'd love to learn how to polish pivots with this!! :)

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
Thanks so much for this info Dr. Jon! My kit has 3 discs, 2 arbors, allen keys, and scope. I don't have the pivot gauge, and the circular part that goes around the main opening is loose and doesn't look like it tightens on mine. I'll attach pics when I get home this evening. Hoping someone has those instructions lying around, or I'd love to learn how to polish pivots with this!! :)
Hi Dave, the outer ring was loose on my machine also, and i just put 3 small pieces of scotch tape where it sits and this tightened it up nicely so it stays put. hope this helps

Reactions: Dave Ward

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
Thats cool, where did you find that? You would think someone must have written an article on this tool
I found it on an ebay listing. I have a worldwide search out for the tool in hopes that someone puts up a pic of the instructions. That's the best I have found so far :/

All 3 of my discs have the hole worn completely through them, which I assume is an issue. Right?

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
I found it on an ebay listing. I have a worldwide search out for the tool in hopes that someone puts up a pic of the instructions. That's the best I have found so far :/

All 3 of my discs have the hole worn completely through them, which I assume is an issue. Right?
Dave,
I don't think that is an issue as long as the holes are not too big. The pivot has to go through those holes. So Dr. Rob said the issue for him was to fit one pivot in the runner you have, they are supposed to have holes in the end too, and then through that disk and keeping it there while you screw on the disk, I haven't tried that yet but it looks tricky. once the pivot comes through the hole in the disk, then he said to use the black knob to turn it while you observe through the scope. And the part of the instructions you did have said to use tweezers to try to straighten the pivot while turning by hand. If the pivot is not bent at all, then I think you can turn the motor on and maybe try to polish the pivot. All of the disks and the runners should have different size holes to accommodate different pivots, not that I can measure the difference, because I don't have a jewel gauge need to get one of those. You could take an old balance wheel you have laying around and try to fit it in the runner and through the hole in the disk. I probably need to practice that.

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
Dave,
I don't think that is an issue as long as the holes are not too big. The pivot has to go through those holes. So Dr. Rob said the issue for him was to fit one pivot in the runner you have, they are supposed to have holes in the end too, and then through that disk and keeping it there while you screw on the disk, I haven't tried that yet but it looks tricky. once the pivot comes through the hole in the disk, then he said to use the black knob to turn it while you observe through the scope. And the part of the instructions you did have said to use tweezers to try to straighten the pivot while turning by hand. If the pivot is not bent at all, then I think you can turn the motor on and maybe try to polish the pivot. All of the disks and the runners should have different size holes to accommodate different pivots, not that I can measure the difference, because I don't have a jewel gauge need to get one of those. You could take an old balance wheel you have laying around and try to fit it in the runner and through the hole in the disk. I probably need to practice that.
That makes sense, I did wonder what I was supposed to be looking at with the scope haha.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I have used mine just a few times but I did find the microscope focuses well on the pivot.

FWIW and my experience may differ from others I do better at pivot straightening with the Seitz hand tool.

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
I have used mine just a few times but I did find the microscope focuses well on the pivot.

FWIW and my experience may differ from others I do better at pivot straightening with the Seitz hand tool.
I know you are busy so, thank you so much for your experience and input.

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
So I posted about the Pivot Master in a facebook group I am in, and there's hope yet!

Screenshot_20220731-202325_Facebook.jpg

Drickett1

Jul 27, 2022
Country
Dave,
You done good thanks and thank Luis for me
Hey Dave, I noticed that the instructions did not include what this machine and set originally came with, I wonder how many runners and plates it came with, and I guess according to Dr. Jon a pivot gauge also, It is too bad there is no parts list. Hey thanks again for all of your hard work, I found out that I do better with other tools to straighten and polish pivots. I love all of the old quality tools in the watch and clock trade.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
No parts list but the instructions mention four disks, four back runners and a pair of tweezers I did not know about.

I converted this set into a PDF and OCR'd so it is searchable.

Attachments

Dave Ward

Aug 25, 2021
Country
No parts list but the instructions mention four disks, four back runners and a pair of tweezers I did not know about.

I converted this set into a PDF and OCR'd so it is searchable.
I received a more complete set of instructions for our information. Attached!

Pivot master complete 1.jpg Pivot master complete 2.jpg Pivot master complete 3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonespongpilot
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-