• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Watch Makers Bench

J

jwdavis

This is my first time posting to this board although I have been a regular on the other boards for several months.

I ran across something that I thought might be of interest to the regulars here. The Elgin Area Historical Society recently completed an exhibit of the Elgin National Watch Company and there is a watch makers bench on display that was built by an employee of the company for his own use. Here is a link to 5 pics.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1374213&uid=605699&members=1

The museum curator told me that the family was hauling this bench out to the tree lawn for disposal! When somebody expressed interest in it they decided to keep it. Wouldn't you like to have been driving by at that moment in time! Enjoy.

Jack Davis
Nawcc #155192

J

jwdavis

This is my first time posting to this board although I have been a regular on the other boards for several months.

I ran across something that I thought might be of interest to the regulars here. The Elgin Area Historical Society recently completed an exhibit of the Elgin National Watch Company and there is a watch makers bench on display that was built by an employee of the company for his own use. Here is a link to 5 pics.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1374213&uid=605699&members=1

The museum curator told me that the family was hauling this bench out to the tree lawn for disposal! When somebody expressed interest in it they decided to keep it. Wouldn't you like to have been driving by at that moment in time! Enjoy.

Jack Davis
Nawcc #155192

Wayne C. Anderson

Dec 20, 2001
Thanks for posting the pictures of the watch makers bench, and the article..made my evening very ejoyable looking at all the details.
Thanks

Wayne

D

Doug

Hello Jack,

The Bench shown is a Commercial made bench, I have one exactly like it. The plexiglass surround would have been homemade by someone but not the bench.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Doug Osborne

Doug Osborne

L

lots of time

My bench is also similer, same style woodwork and drawer handles. Mine has drawers on both sides and a pull out Bin on the bottom left side.

DavidEFahrenholz

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I recently purchased a new bench from Grobet. I am not impressed considering the cost. Durability seems to be the problem. It arrived in an intact box but the bench was damaged inside. I contacted Grobet but have recvd no response yet. I hope I am wrong but with the assembly procedures it seems like it will not last long.

David E Fahrenholz
Fahrenholz Clock & Watch
NAWCC #0156368

F

feadog

I purchased a Grobet USA Professional Jeweler's model work bench. It is very sturdy. Is this the model that you got?

Subsequently, I purchased a used Vigor watchmaker's workbench. This is the one I really wanted, because of the large number of drawers. Its new price is almost double the Grobet price. I don't think it is as durable, but its durable enough.

Bill

F

fecit^im

cannot seem to figure out how open a new topic...just wanted to know the price range of a used bench...complete with moderate wear.

M

Mike Kearney

I bought a moderately used 60's or 70's era Vigor-type bench from Dashto a few years ago for about $250. It has some plywood, but is mostly solid wood. Shipping is a consideration, but I drove and picked it up myself.

Chuck made his bench from scratch, but I haven't seen it since it was finished. Maybe he can tell us about it.

Your question reminds me that we once discussed what type of bench people use. If you go the route of using a binocular microscope (as Steve M. recommends and I've followed and agreed with), you'll find you don't need to sit so high, and so a traditional tall watchmakers bench isn't quite so desireable as a workplace. I keep my microscope on my bench, and have both a low seat and a high stool that I frequently switch between depending on what I'm doing. Other than that, I enjoy working at a tall workbench.

Regards,
Mik

Julian Smith

Sep 1, 2000
Visit site
I have a work bench that I made in @1961.I went to a local building supply and used their saws and tools.I bought one sheet of 1/2 in plywood and most of the rest came from the scrap pile.When they totaled up my bill it came to about $22.50.It is a dust catcher at home but there are two ( one of which is a roll top) at the shop, plus a jewelers bench.
J Smith

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
I am a volunteer at the NAWCC Library and Research Center. Last week we received a question I could not answer. The member asked where he might find plans for a watchmaker's bench. Since two of you have responded to this thread that you made your own benches, do either of you have written plans? If so, would you be willing to share them.

Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
With a little more research I was able to find bench plans for the NAWCC member.

"The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight (Davis Publications ISBN 0-87192-240-1) has plans for a jeweler's bench.

"Mechanical and Quartz Watch Repair" by Mick Watters (Crowood Press ISBN 1 86126 2337) has plans for a watchmaker's bench.

Both books may be check out from the NAWCC Library by members.

Both books present plans for rather modern looking benches. I also suggested that he might go to his local NAWCC chapter meeting and ask people if they would mind if he took measurements of their benches.

Thanks for your ideas.

Don Dahlberg