Watch Maintenance & Repair Tools

Discussion in 'Lost or Stolen Horological Items' started by DaveyG, Jun 26, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005
    Last night, or probably during the wee small hours of this morning, my workshop was broken into and most of my watch tools were stolen. The list of tools taken is far too long to list here, but just about any and every watch repair hand tool that you can think of would be on the list. Included would also be quite a lot of watch parts such as a complete box of American pocket watch balance staffs with around 150 staffs, a complete box of Swiss pocket watch balance staffs, a box with 30 vials of pocket watch sized ruby impulse pins and another box of wristwatch length pins. A box of pocket watch hour hands, another of minute hands, one of seconds hands and one with stopwatch hands.

Could I ask people, especially those in North Wales and the North West of England to PM me if they see or hear of tools and or parts being offered for sale, seen at antique fairs or auction houses and so on, to PM me so that I can advise the police.

Many thanks.

2. richiec

richiec Registered User

Feb 24, 2007
    Re: Watch Mainenance & Repair Tools

DaveyG, will keep my eye on ebay, etc. that really hurts.

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User

Jan 7, 2011

Dave,

Whatever else they steal, they can't take your skills, your knowledge, your experience or your love of the craft.

Nil illegitimi carborundum!

Regards,

Graham

4. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005

Thank you fellas. I am struggling with where I go from here but the winning thoughts at the moment are 'if I don't do this what do I do?' I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for my other two passions, motor racing and mountaineering :(

5. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006

Proper pastimes Dave...!
    But you're missing one.

Wasn't it Hemingway who said that "there are only 3 sports. Motor racing, mountaineering, and bull fighting. All the rest are merely games..."

Good luck with rounding up some new tools, pity you're not closer or you could come around and have a rat through my spares.

Cheers,
    Ralph.
    N.Z.

6. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005
    #6 DaveyG, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

Some of the stolen goods have appeared on ebay, they include a Levin pivot polisher, oil sink cutters, rose cutters (boxed) Bergeon cutting broaches (boxed), roller remover (vydiax), 16 set of jewelling chucks and balance screw undercutters. The good old North Wales Police are currently too busy to investigate :( but I would advise anyone noting vintage watch tools for sale in a North Wales location to avoid bidding. I should add that there are also some American, 16Sz watch dials listed that are also from my stock, dials for Illinois, Hamilton (box car with hairlines), Hampden and a Waltham Vanguard with U/D.

The seller advises that there is "more to list this week".

7. EdinKali

EdinKali Registered User

Apr 7, 2013

Too busy to investigate!! WTH??!! I would go to ebay directly and report those goods are stolen. Might even be worth a call to the local press stating that the police are refusing to investigate. This should be a slam dunk for the PD.

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User

Jan 7, 2011

Hi Dave,

I think that if the vendor has any morals at all, they should at the very least pull the listings until the police get round to investigating. Not sure if eBay are inclined to accept this type of request from "non-law-enforcement" sources though. Your stuff looks rather out of place with the vendor's other offerings.

Regards,

Graham

9. scottmiami

scottmiami Registered User

May 14, 2014

Don't know the law over there, but in the U.S., being in possession of stolen property is against the law in itself, though it would be nice to see the actual thief prosecuted too, if turns out not to be the seller.

If it were me, I'd send the seller a message asking if local pickup was an option. Then I would take friends with me to do the pickup.

10. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005

I really want the thieves apprehended here, but all of the other points that you make are valid folks and thanks for them. I will wait out for a day and take police advice on where to go - if they have time to give me any advice - before I go for one of the other options. I do like the press approach EdinKali, hadn't though of that one.

11. DJH584

DJH584 Registered User

Jun 21, 2013

If you don't get any joy with the police over the phone, may I suggest you visit their website. There is a facility on there to make a complaint if you are unhappy with service or you can contact the professional standards dept via a link on that page.

Graham is correct in what he says about Ebay not accepting such details from a "non law enforcement" source. The information has to come from a law enforcement source or an "Ebay PROACT" member whatever that is.

Regards

David

12. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005

Well folks, a result :smile: I had to be very persistent, visiting the Police Station on a daily basis and supply positive evidence that the items on ebay were mine but, on Friday, 18 July the police visited and questioned the lady listing the items and recovered approximately 70% of my goods from her shop. She is, apparently, an innocent part of the process, is not suspected of any crime and has provided the police with evidence.

Those goods recovered were restored to me on Saturday night. There is obviously still 'stuff' outstanding but I have the significant tooling items back into the fold for which I am grateful.

With regard to the police involvement I would say that the individual officers did the best that they could within the confines of a system that is not at all 'joined up'. I shall offer my experiences and the concerns that they raise to the Regional Police & Crime Commissioner.

I am very grateful for the support that I have received from both folks on this forum and from the 'collecting' community around the UK.

13. gmorse

gmorse Registered User

Jan 7, 2011

Hi Dave,

That's great news! Now you won't have to take up any alternative occupations as you feared you might . . .

I wish you joy with your Commissioner.

Regards,

Graham

14. DJH584

DJH584 Registered User

Jun 21, 2013

Great stuff Davey glad to hear you got some of your property back.

Now where's the rest of your property? Is that bay seller local to you? If so, then I bet that the rest of your property won't be far away.

Regards

David

15. EdinKali

EdinKali Registered User

Apr 7, 2013

Glad to hear that you got most of it back. Keep your eyes peeled for the rest of it. It may turn up eventually. I had a motorcycle stolen once. After a few months I gave up hope until I got a phone call from the police saying they recovered it intact(aside from some scrapes on one side when the thief ditched it on a muddy lawn while running from the police).