Watch Inspector's Office Image

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Noel Poirier, Oct 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Noel Poirier

Noel Poirier Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're all probably tired of these railroad-inspired pictures, but as I find them I can't resist sharing them. This image is of the Watch Inspector's Office at Union Station in Chicago, Illinois circa 1943. Note the Hamilton Watch advertising plaque in the upper right hand corner of the image. I couldn't make out the maker of the clock on the wall, but other might be able to identify it.

Enjoy!

8d24846u.jpg

musicguy likes this.
  2. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Noel! I can't identify the clock, but did find a bit about Chas H. Bern Watch Inspector and his family's business. They are a family of watchmaker/jewelers and looks like they are now Marshall Pierce & Co located on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Nice success story.

Pat

Noel Poirier likes this.
  3. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good afternoon, Noel!

Can't be sure, but I think I see the characteristic trapezoidal pattern of the dial-affixing screws seen in clocks by the Self Winding Clock Company. Note what appear to be two screws just above the seconds track, at about :52 and :08, and what appears to be another at about 7:15. The fourth screw might be concealed by the hour hand at about 4:45.

The mark in the center below the hand shaft might be the opening for the synchronizing light. There are words underneath that opening, that might just say "Self Winding Clock Company," and below that "New York." The case has a crank in the upper door latch, as was common too. Synchronization would be common in 1943.

Can't find one in the catalog that I have, but the Self Winding 9-A and 18-A have somewhat similar cases.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Noel Poirier likes this.
  4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Noel
    I am not tired of railroad pictures
    My interests include clocks, watches and railroads
    I am not the only one here interested in railroads

Noel Poirier likes this.
  5. Rhett Lucke

Rhett Lucke Director
    NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    #5 Rhett Lucke, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    The Hamilton Advertising looks like it may be a decal applied to the glass. Here’s a similar decal on glass that came from an old Jewelry Store.

HamDecal.jpg

Noel Poirier likes this.
  6. Noel Poirier

Noel Poirier Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Les! I'll be sure to keep posting ones that might be of interest!

PatH likes this.