Watch Id

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Rantime, Dec 3, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rantime

Rantime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Would anyone know the maker of this watch? Thanks Rantime

Attached Files:

• R3.jpg
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
    • R2.jpg
      File size:
      117.7 KB
      Views:
    • R 1.jpg
      File size:
      120.1 KB
      Views:
  2. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sorry, see follow-up posting

3. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not certain what you're asking.

It appears that the maker is A. J. Bosch

Is the engraved word below the name "Finolle"
    or something else?

The watch paper is probably that of a repair
    watchmaker, located in the Netherlands.

4. Rantime

Rantime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks For responding, I felt that the AJ bosch might have been the owner and had his name engraved on the inner lid, I was wondering if the movement had been made by another company, There is a crown stamped on the movement but no name. I tried to enlarge the crown and I just pasted in on the movement picture. Rantime

5. m.bredewold

m.bredewold Registered User

Aug 7, 2005
    It might be the name of the owner
    Under the name Bosch stands the name Zwolle, its a city in the Netherlands wich i happen to live in.

Quite interesting and funny:thumb:

The crown mark looks like the Dutch crown.

6. Rantime

Rantime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks for the information. Do you know what influences the Swiss or Germany had on the Dutch Watchmaking? I'm wondering if this movement was made their or made in another Country. Rantime

7. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    This watch appears to be a Swiss bar movement. The Swiss made incomplete or barely complete movements called ebauche movements. These were then purchased by hundreds of other companies or individuals and finished and cased. A given ebauche movement could be finished to any level depending on the time and money they wanted to put into it. Swiss movements were finished by people inside and outside Switzerland. So this watch may have been finished outside of Switzerland or commissioned by someone outside.

This is true today. For example, Breitling does not make watch movements. They just case them.

Don

8. Rantime

Rantime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks Don for information, This is a watch I picked up several years ago it has a very nice engraved coin case looks to be a village, I'm assuming coin since its marked 800 m and down below the letters L C This is behind the paper. I've always wondered on some of these watches where they came from who the original owners are and if the watch holds any importance. I've picked up several watches like this over the years. Rantime