Watch Database - Looking for Volunteers

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by bbodnyk, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I posted this thread yesterday on the Watch Repair forum:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=66550

I am seeking out a few individuals willing to try out my database. If anyone is interested send me a private message.

Bruce

2. Billman730

Billman730 Registered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Railroader
    Hartford Ct area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello! I had no trouble adding a Hamilton 992 Ba det ya, ba det ya, bbbB.
    signed P. Pig

3. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I saw that! Unfortunately the front picture didn't quite get added correctly. If you click on the front or back thumbnail the Display Pictures page should open with a larger image. The large image of the front of the 992 didn't get transferred correctly although the back is fine. If you upload it again it will probably work.

That's exactly why I'm looking for volunteers, to help find things that don't work correctly or to suggest improvements. If you'd like to try using it for real send me a private message!

Regards,
    Bruce

4. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've recently added functionality to my database that should hopefully interest the collectors. Attached is a screen shot showing watches wanted and watches already owned. I've also added the ability to search ebay for a wanted watch.

Still looking for volunteers...

Bruce 72830.jpg

5. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 bbodnyk, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    I just added the ability to create pdf documents from the Time Lord Watch Database. Attached are three examples! So now you can have your watch data both on-line but have paper records also.

Regards,
    Bruce
    customerlist.pdf watchlist.pdf watchdetail.pdf

Attached Files:

6. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Time Lord Watch Database (TLWD) has been totally revamped and now handles all types of timepieces; ie. wrist watches, pocket watches, clocks. These three are predefined but the user can add additional timepiece types as desired.

The benefits include:

-Ability to record data only applicable to the type of timepiece being entered.

-
    The ability to define new data types that may not be already defined, i.e. “strike type” for a clock for example.

-
    The ability to associate the different recordable data types to specific timepiece types.

-
    Data entry screens that only represent the data items associated with a type of timepiece.

-
    The ability to add/remove data columns from the watch search results display.

-
    The ability to save current data display settings as “views”.

-
    The ability to switch between different displays by selecting the “view”.

-
    The use of these views when generating watch pdf reports.

The whole intent of this major change is to remove the limitation that previously the types of data being captured was written into the program and could not be changed. Now it is entirely up to the user what data to capture and how to display it.

Attached are some screen shots representing the current changes. The first two show adding a pocket watch and a clock to the system. The third shows the results of a watch search and the rest show editing a watch with the different property types; required properties, non-required properties currently defined for the watch and the non-required properties that have not been defined yet.

The changes have not made it up to the web hosted version of the database yet. I’ll post a message when that happens so interested individuals can check it out.

Still looking for some volunteers…

Regards,
    Bruce 73989.jpg 73990.jpg 73991.jpg 73992.jpg 73993.jpg 73994.jpg

7. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Watch repair/ Watch sales
    USA
    Country Flag:
    I've been using the database and found it to be very useful! Keep up the good work, Bruce!

8. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Time Lord Database continues to improve. The database can handle pocket watches, wrist watches and clocks equally well. New functionality is constantly being added.

To try it out, go to www.timelordwatches.net and login with a name and password of nawcc.

Try adding yourself as a customer and add a timepiece for yourself. Feel free to play around!

Comments are appreciated!

Regards,
    Bruce 75701.jpg

9. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bruce

I tried logging in with my user name and password from this forum, but it says unauthorized login , wrong username or password. I would like to check the site out. Any ideas?

Wilsonpaule

10. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Use "nawcc" without the quotes for both the login name and password.

Regards,
    Bruce

11. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,
    When I click on the screen I see that it has a cookie progran attached to it.

I don't know if this is proper on the NAWCC site. :eek:

It wants permission to store info on my computer from s.ytimg.com.

What's wrong with the microsoft spread or data sheets that are free?

12. bbodnyk

bbodnyk Registered User

Aug 14, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim,

What web page were you trying to get to? I have no idea what "s.ytimg.com" is. My web page is purely passive in that it's a front end to a sql database. No cookies of any kind are being used.

Bruce

13. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes we read things and interpret them in the way we expect. I initially saw Name and password and the word NAWCC and just went on brain lock to use the same name and password that i use ON NAWCC. Reading comprehension needs remedial work! Thanks Bruce, will check it out (probably tomorrow, as my brain is fried from my latest round of "read it all to learn some more!")

Thxs
    Wilsonpaule

14. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,
    When I clicked on your video, my computer system alerted me that a web site was requesting 10mb space on my computer (cookie).

This link will explain it.

http://www.keiths-place.com/blogs/keith/2008/stop-youtube-sytimgcom-video-camera-spying

You Tube is the problem. It is not malicious or harmful, just intrusive.
    :eek::confused: