• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Watch Clubs

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Elsewhere, Cort had a question about watch clubs. Nahum Lewis wrote about them in the Bulletin and I had a minor note in such about an Aurora marked "Union Watch Club". Columbus made private label mvts marked "American Watch Club Co.". Just so happens I have a junker Rockford handy for the "Union Watch Co". Was this the same as the "Union Watch Club"? I don't know. Anyone else have something on this topic to share?

img681.jpg img682.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Here are a couple of threads about watch clubs...

The two Watch Club articles that Greg mentioned in the Aurora to Hamilton thread can be found in the following Bulletin articles: June 1990 p.264 - Nahum Lewis, and October 1993 p. 590 - Greg

Attached are a couple of Keystone Watch Club ads. The ads were trimmed and undated, so I don't have specific dates.

Keystone watch club ad.jpg Keystone watch club anti-theft ad.jpg

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
H. R. Caulfield of San Francisco and Oakland was "manager" of the United States Watch Club in 1890. The only reason I know this is because Caulfield was the guy who ordered the private label Aurora movements marked "Caulfield Watch for Railway Service" in 1889.

luvsthetick

Mar 31, 2010
Georgia
Country
Region
In the second of the two threads PatH listed ( https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/american-watch-club-newburgh-n-y-dial.161607/ ) I posted about my two American Watch Club watches in post #10. Both watches have movements marked for the American Watch Club, Cleveland, O. and are fronted with dials for Joseph Schauweker, Jr. In that thread PatH asked if I knew how Schauweker and the Walker-Edmond Co. (Cincinnati, O.) were connected. If there is a connection I still have not found it. Nor have I found any connection with the American Watch Co. Newburgh, N.Y. on Rob's dial.
Schauweker operated his club AWC out of Cleveland, O.

Interestingly in the ad to join the American Watch Club Rob posted from McClure's Magazine there is mention of Egin, Waltham and Remington movements. It describes the Remington movement as "especially fine". The Elgin and Waltham movements would be kept in repair for 1 year free of charge but the Remington would be kept in repair for 2 years for free, guess we know what they thought of the Remington.

Question...........anybody know if this is the Remington movement referred to in the ad?
I never knew it had a possible connection to a watch club.

DSC_0002a.jpg

Last edited:

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
I want to believe that the Rockford 'Union Watch Company' watch is a private label and did not belong to any club since the company kept a tight control of their product distribution and pricing. They had their own salesmen and permitted only one distributor per town to sell their watches. They did sell watches to Sears but they were stamped with another name (Plymouth W. Co.) with no Rockford stamping.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
... Attached are a couple of Keystone Watch Club ads. The ads were trimmed and undated, so I don't have specific dates. ...
Here are some dated Keystone Watch Club ads. Its hard to tell if its really a watch club or a sales operation using the name "Keystone Watch Club."

1887_Mar_Keystone_Dust-Proof_For_RR_Use - Copy.jpg 1887_Aug_Keystone_Experts_Evidence - Copy.jpg 1888_Jan_Keystone_Watch_Co_Club - Copy.jpg 1888_Aug_Keystone_Watch_Co_Dust_Proof - Copy.jpg 1889_Feb-15_Keystone_Watch_Club - Copy.jpg 1891_Sep-16_Keystone_Watch_Club_Receiver's_Report.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-