Watch Case Inscription

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
In a box of horological material an OF, 20''', rather flat, nickel watch case was found. On its back, it carries an inscription: (arrow)/G. S. T. P./(number) - see picture. Any information on the meaning of this inscription would be appreciated.

Attachments

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Jerzy,

These are British military markings. The top stamp is the British "Broad Arrow", and GSTP is the official nomenclature for a grade of British military watch issued during the World War Two period. It is usually reported to stand for "General Service Time Piece", although some say that TP stands for "Temporary Pattern", and others insist it stands for "Trade Pattern". The number is a serial number that I don't know a meaning for. On some British issue items the number can be decoded to tell which branch may have used the item, but I've not seen such a reference for the GSTP watches.

These watches are typically Swiss made with a 19 ligne, 15 jewel movement. Dials are usually white (black is also seen) with Radium painted hands. They were manufactured by many different makers, including many well-known Swiss firms, but there are also many which have unsigned movements and dials. I've probably seen more of these by Cyma than any other maker, but I've seen them with movements made by Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, Record, Cortebert, Lemania, Thommen, Buren, Doxa, Helvetia and others I can't recall. The unsigned ones are often made by Fontainmellon, Unitas and F.E.F.

Regards,

Cary

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5