Watch batteries

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by CJo, Sep 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CJo

CJo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Semi Retired
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lately had more people needing battery replacements. The two places that used to do them have quit. Wasn’t something I wanted to deal with originally. But now would like to have an assortment available. Where is the best place to buy an assortment that is usable or is it better to just have just certain ones on hand? Any advice appreciated.

2. jshopper1

jshopper1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Engineer Retired
    South Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cjo

Good question. Unfortunately not a simple answer.

I volunteer at a local not-for-profit thrift shop. I am in charge of the watches, clocks and other stuff that nobody else wants to fool with.

I check out the watches that come in from donation, insert new batteries and ensure that they are OK for sale. Over the past 3 years I have replaced hundreds (maybe thousands) of watch batteries.

The vast majority of the mens and ladies costume jewelry watches (aka Chinese) sold in the last 10 years take 377/626 batteries. I buy them in bulk on ebay, quantities of 100 no-name-brand batteries cost less than $10 USD (10 cents each). If you see many of this type of watch, I recommend you stock up on 377/626s.

Beyond the 377/626s it is tough to recommend another type of battery to keep on hand.

Timex watches take big, flat 3 volt batteries, so do some Casios. I cannot pin it down to one particular size to keep on hand, they all have different size requirements. Here I keep 1216, 1620, 2032, 2025, 2016 and more.

Same with modern Swiss quartz movements, they mostly always take short, small batteries. Again hard to pin down one particular size. I keep 321, 364, 379, 389 and AG8 and more.

I recommend this web site HERE as they have a comprehensive list of watch batteries with dimensions. Over the years I have used many of the batteries on this list.

What I do, I have an inventory of 20 - 30 different size batteries that I keep in stock. Most I seldom use but I have them on hand when needed. And it seems like everyday something new comes in for which I have no battery on hand. So I buy what I need on ebay.

Wish I could be more specific but alas, not a one-word answer. Others may chime in with good recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Dennis Lockwood

CJo and Hawk53 like this.
  3. CJo

CJo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Semi Retired
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you so much Dennis, absolutely does help! I appreciate you taking the time to write your experience and knowledge in this area.

4. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good afternoon, Cjo!

Remember that even button cells have a limited useful life. You can guess how I know that.

Also, this quote attributed to John Ruskin: "There is hardly anything in the world that someone can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper - and people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey."

Best regards!

Tim Orr

CJo likes this.
  5. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you know the individuals who previously handled this type of work, you might be able to ask them so you have a starting point?

CJo likes this.
  6. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired from computing, networking
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I used to purchase my batteries from Esslinger.com but don't do much of that now. I bought them a few at a time and always purchased one extra of what was needed. Before long I had quite a supply on hand. Esslingers, and probably other watch supply houses, also have what thy call a Renata battery outfit that contains 150 batteries that most watches use that you might want to consider. (And no, I am not affiliated with this company in any way)

CJo likes this.