• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Was Given this Kern and Son

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
A good friend in the St. Louis area was helping me with taking a main spring barrel apart for service. I'm still learning and wanted to get some close up views of how that is done. It really helped.

Then, as I was leaving, he offered me this Kern clock. What? Really? He said someone gave it to him; he is a great repair man and has done hundreds of these clocks but thought I might enjoy working on it. Heck ya!! Very nice!

Anyway, I'm not near my repair guide. It says Kern on the dial and there is a K-S logo with Germany written on the back. I don't see any serial numbers although there's a scratched-in number on the back of the dial, just visible above the top of the front plate. There's no guide cup. I also noticed that the click spring is on the back side of the front plate, slightly hidden by the barrel. That sure makes it difficult to deal with when letting down the power.

Can anyone give me some background on this clock, the likely age of it?

Thanks...Kurt (not sure why the pictures uploaded differently)
KernBack.jpg ~

Attachments

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
Kurt,
Nice clock. Letting down the spring isn't much different then clocks with the click on the back plate. Age wise my guess is '50s. They're nice to work on because you don't have to deal with the cup.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Thanks...I can see the catch to move to let the spring down, but getting to it with say the thumb doesn't appear to be as simple. I'll have to give it a try once I get it home.

Kurt

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Kern and Söhne wide plate.IMO made between 1949 and end of the 50ies,since then the manufacturers turned to small plate mvmts because duty on these was reduced.Nice and-as You will see- good quality clock.Congrats!
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
It wasn't easy to see in my original picture, but given no guide cup, there is a round piece of green felt at the point where the guide cup might be...and a corner of the felt is missing or cut off. It sort of looks original. When I go to clean up the base, that will have to be removed...I doubt I could remove it in such a way to be able to replace the original piece. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Kurt

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
I could be wrong, but I don't think the felt is original. My kern with no cup never had it, and the age is about the same as your's
Mark

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I have removed the guard, but can't really figure out which plate this is from the repair guide. There is 1343 and 1343A which seem identical except for the wording on the plate. My back plate doesn't have any wording and had the K&S logo which aren't listed in the guide. My plate has two extra holes along the bottom edge. I suppose it doesn't matter a great deal...the spring thickness is the same for either so I would know what to order. Are there other plates that I'm missing?

Kurt

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
I have removed the guard, but can't really figure out which plate this is from the repair guide. There is 1343 and 1343A which seem identical except for the wording on the plate. My back plate doesn't have any wording and had the K&S logo which aren't listed in the guide. My plate has two extra holes along the bottom edge. I suppose it doesn't matter a great deal...the spring thickness is the same for either so I would know what to order. Are there other plates that I'm missing?

Kurt
Kurt, your clock has Plate 1404A, the only difference with that plate and your clock being the position of the KuS logo (found under "KS" in the Repair Guide). Note the two holes near the bottom of the plate same as yours, these are for holding a bracket that was added no earlier than 1951 for keeping the pendulum from swinging wildly if the clock is picked up without unhooking it. Most of those have been removed and I presume thrown away, much like all the missing suspension guards.

For info, the KuS wide plate movement was discontinued no later than 1955, likely earlier, in favor of the less expensive narrow plate movements. That places your clock being made for certain between 1951 and 1955. The latest date shown in the Repair Guide for a KuS wide plate is 1954, Plate 1667A that is identical to yours except it has no markings. Fortunately for Schatz, Kern didn't destroy or throw away the tools and patterns for this movement, and were able to resurrect it to make the movement for the Schatz 1981 "Jubilee" model, Plate 1614 (a Kern in Schatz clothing). Had Kern done the usual thing and toss the "obsolete" equipment, that splendid clock would not exist today.

The felt on the base was added by someone probably as a visual means of keeping the clock level. You can leave it or replace it no harm, but it's not original.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Thanks, John. I thought I had looked all over the guide but the organization of the plates, etc., is somewhat disjointed.

Kurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent