Was 2018 good to you, horologically?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Jerry Treiman, Jan 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At the end of a year I like to reflect on what I found or discovered over the past 12 months. This year was a good one for me with respect to my various watch research projects. The year saw the publication (finally !) of the long-term research that I undertook with several co-authors on the watches that Waltham made for the E. Howard Watch Co. That felt good to finally see it through. I also acquired some meaningful watches related to my research on Waltham watches for Bigelow, Kennard & Co. and Waltham watches cased by H.W. Matalene. With respect to the latter, I also found some puzzles.

This pair of wristwatches, one in gold and one in silver, represent an early attempt at a hermetic wrist watch. The movements are 6/0 Waltham “Ruby” grade but the cases are the puzzle. They are not signed and at this point I am only speculating that they may have come from Matalene’s shop. They are “trench-style” watches that may date from 1918 or 1919. I have discussed these a little in this thread - A very unusual Waltham - circa WWI?
    5211_6032.jpg

Another puzzle relates to these two Waltham 8-day clocks. One is a folding travel clock, cased under one of Matalene’s patents (U.S. Patent No.1,020,770 - March 19, 1912). The second is an easel clock. Most examples of the easel clock include the March 19, 1912 patent date even though the clock does not include the patented design. I know that Matalene was involved in shipping these out to jewelers but I do not yet know how much he had to do with the casing of these clocks, if anything. Research continues.
    folding.jpg easel.jpg

So, what joys or successes did the past year bring you?

Noel Poirier, PatH and Kevin W. like this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Likely not much in the way of big finds. Though i found a clock made by a Canadian company, and got started in the restoration of a picture frame clock from the early 1800,s. Also repaired a few clocks for some customers.More involved with the Chapter i am in, vp of chapter 111. You did very well Jerry.

Noel Poirier and PatH like this.
  3. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    2018 was a good collecting year for me; I added nearly two dozen very nice watches to my collections, nearly completing them. I admit being extremely spoiled.

Ladies Watches Collection
    1. El Aguila ladies watch in an 18k enameled hunter case set with diamonds
    2. Longines ladies watch in an 18k ‘hunter case set with diamonds
    3. Anonymous ladies watch in an 18k open-face enameled case set with diamonds

German Watch Collection
    4. Julius Assmann in an 18k OF case

Unusual Escapement Collection
    Freres Plan virgule in a 20k pink and green gold decorated open-face case

Lous Audemars Collection
    6. Louis Audemars Foudroyante Seconde Mort in an 18k open-face case
    7. Louis Audemars (Amédée Charpentier PL) ladies-size open-face ¼ repeater in a fancy 18k enameled case
    8. Louis Audemars (H. Haefeli PL) ladies-size minute repeater in an 18k hunter case

H.R. Ekegren Collection
    9. H.R. Ekegren chronograph (J. Calame PL) in an 18k hunter case

Elgin 21j Convertible and C.H. Hulburd Collections
    10. Elgin Grade 72 convertible in a 14k rose gold P.K. & Co. hunter case
    11. Elgin C.H. Hulburd Grade 446 in a 14k white gold open-face case
    12. Elgin C.H. Hulburd Grade 466 in an 18k white gold open-face case
    13. Elgin C.H. Hulburd Grade 466 in a 90% platinum/10% iridium open-face case
    14. Elgin C.H. Hulburd Grade 466 in an 18k white gold open-face case

Haas Neveux Collection
    15. Haas Neveux in an 18k open-face Haas Neveux case with enameled monogram

C.H. Meylan Collection
    16. C.H. Meylan (Grogan PL) with an oval movement in an oval 18k enameled Cress Arrow open-face case

Patek Philippe Collection
    17. Patek Philippe “Extra” (Bingham & Walk PL) in an 18k open-face case

Touchon Collection

18. Touchon in 1874 Mexico 20-peso gold coin

Waltham Collction
    19. Waltham “American Watch Co.” Grade Bridge 1894 Model in a14k gold open-face case
    20. Waltham “American Watch Co.” Grade 1872 Model in an 18k hunter case
    21. Waltham “American Watch Co.” Grade 1868 Model in a solid gold hunter case
    22. Waltham 5-Minute Repeater/Chronograph in a 14k hunter case

Tom McIntyre, Noel Poirier and PatH like this.