Warning pin repair/replacement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by old shutterdog, Sep 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. old shutterdog

old shutterdog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 15, 2012
    In trying to improve my clock repair skills,I need to ask a question,that you professional s could do in your sleep;how do you replace the small wire pin on the warning wheel? Many thanks

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those pins are generally tapered, and tapped into the hole. You can drill out the old hole, and put a new pin in it. Tap it in snugly and you should be good. A little red LocTite might give it a little more staying power.

3. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Sponsor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ditto the above.

If you have a staking set, you can tap the old pin out, usually easily. Tap it out back the way it went in because sometimes the end of the pin is peened a little, flush to the wheel. Trying to tap it through, instead of back, may make the hole larger than is necessary. Once the new pin is in the wheel, if you do have a staking set, you can gently rivet the brass around the pin with a staking punch.
    Clock tapered pins make good replacements but you will need to shorten it no doubt. If you use cutters to cut it to length, tidy up the end of the pin so no rough edges move along the warning pin indent on the lifting piece.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    To add slightly, I score the new pin by putting it into a pin vise and rotating it between a piece of 150 sandpaper. When you tap it into place it will bite with just a couple of very light taps with a 2 ounce hammer. To much force can split or deform the wheel. Those tapered pins can exert a lot of outward force.
    Willie X

5. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Sponsor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like that.

6. old shutterdog

old shutterdog Registered User
    NAWCC Member