Watch Open Wanted: Graham Verge Fusee Watch Hands

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by David D'Apice, Feb 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David D'Apice

David D'Apice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This watch seems to have the wrong hands, although I'm no expert on it. There's something about them that seems wrong. I believe they were more like beetle and poker hands. Perhaps someone would know more about what I'd need --- PM me if you've got the right thing for this early watch. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1510.jpg

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

You're absolutely right, this dial would have had beetle & poker hands, most probably in blue steel. The champlevé dial with the arcaded chapter is in the Dutch style, and without seeing the movement, I suspect that the name 'Graham' in the central reserve is intended to suggest that it was made by the very famous George; a picture of the movement would be helpful. The hands to match this dial correctly in style and length would probably have to be made specifically to fit it. Please PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Regards,

Graham

3. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here's the movement. Really beautiful!

IMG_1511.jpg

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

Thanks for the picture, which confirms the suspicion raised by the dial design that this is a watch possibly made in the UK but aimed at the Dutch market. The name 'Graham', which was of course an extremely famous one when this was made in the first or second quarters of the 18th century, doesn't belong to George, was most probably used simply as a marketing ploy and shouldn't be taken as indicating its actual makers. The use of a balance bridge rather than a cock was quite unusual in English watches and is typical of European work at the time.

The overall design is certainly typical of the period, which used to be considered to be a 'Dutch fake' made in Holland for the English market, but it's now thought to be possible that the reverse was the case, as suggested above. Wherever it was made it is an attractive watch and apparently in very good condition for its age.

A picture of the edge of the movement would be interesting and may provide some clue of where it was actually made.

Regards,

Graham

5. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi there Graham -- here are some photos. I suppose "graham" on a dial is a lot like "Willard" ---- Let me know what you think! Or, at the very least, enjoy the photos! Best. Dave

IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1532.jpg

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

Thanks for adding these pictures, which I'm afraid confirm that although it's signed for 'Graham, London', it certainly wasn't made by the famous George. The balance bridge rather than a cock and the shape of the pillars are typical of these fakes, and also, George always numbered his watches. He didn't make any verges after he developed the cylinder escapement around 1727, but this could well be a little earlier than that. However, as you say, it's still a handsome piece, and those waisted screws on the balance bridge are a nice touch.

Regards,

Graham

7. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the insights ---- I'd have to say, fake or not, it's got to be fairly old. It gets an award for just surviving 200 years or so.