Wanted- Antique Clock Repair and Restoration in Maryland

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself as well as ask for possible assistance in a few areas. I grew up in a house with a lot of antique clocks and am now starting to collect my own. I wanted to get some pointers from members here about where I can get work done on antique clocks that is restorative and not just replacement of the old with new. I am not yet comfortable with attempting work myself. (Hope to change that) I am particularly interested in Vienna style clocks and Japanese clocks (which I have quite a few of). I live in central Maryland. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, William

Last edited:

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
People of like interest can be found through the NAWCC. It might be helpful to contact a local chapter and attend a few meetings, especially a regional meeting with a Mart. Many suppliers and enthusiasts will sell/trade their excess at these Marts. Those people will generally share their experiences and knowledge. Your local library can be a valuable source of information as well. If your local library does not have material, they usually have a means to access a larger system for loans. There are many authors/collectors/ technicians that have written lots of things about clock/watch repair. If you join the NAWCC, you will have access to the best library in the world. That library has written material as well as videos available to lend for shipping costs.
It sounds like you could use a mentor. Again, a natural source would be the NAWCC. If you are looking for a repair person to help you along, you might also ask for referrals from other businesses in your area. A couple that come to mind are moving companies and old line jewelry stores. Those businesses will hire or keep on contract clock/watch repair people. I suggest referrals because all clock/watch repair people are not of the same quality. There are many clock repair people that do not offer a quality product and have limited capabilities. It is a severe set back to spend money only to find a short lived or faulty repair.
Many repair people will be reluctant to act as a mentor. This is only natural as it is of very little benefit to train a potential competitor.
Welcome to the MB. This may become a valuable source of information, as well. Glean the topics that interest you but be cautious. Many times, less than quality repairs are suggested.

Best Regards,

Dick

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Dick, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I have joined NAWCC just havent become familiar with all of the resources that it offers. I have been doing a lot of reading on here, very informative. Thank you for the point in the right direction, William.

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Thank you, not too far from me, I will have to check them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j0ckser
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent