Kundo Want to replace coil driver in Kundo electromechanical clock

Raymond101

Jun 25, 2022
Country
What actually is the difference between a "high torque" quartz clock movement and a standard one, when talking about the modern, square plastic beasts available from Asian factories? Don't they both use the same single AA battery? Does the high torque movement send more current through the coil, drain the battery sooner? If so, does it do so by using longer pulses, or pulses with higher peak voltages, or both?
Hi just a quick thought that might make your life easier.
I was repairing an old Smith electronic clock . So I had a cheapo Chinese movement on my desk so thinking of you I tried some tests that may interest you.
Use the cheapo movement remove the coil from the cheapo movement and use it as the base driver ie connect the out put to the base of a transistor.
And use that to fire up your coil .

20220715_145716.jpg 20220715_150310.jpg

debrota

Jul 2, 2022
Country
For posterity (or anyone who cares), I did finally make use of a cheapo quartz clock module (salvaged from a giveaway clock), designed to operate on a single AA battery. I put two AA alkaline batteries in series (nominally 3VDC) and connected them to the clock module, and then connected the output of the module to the Kundo clock coil. It began ticking just as it should, hasn't stopped (over two weeks now), and seems to be keeping excellent time. I conclude that the higher amplitude pulses simply drive the coil magnet more reliably, but do not seem to be damaging it.

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
Nice work debrota , I was confident that a quartz movement would solve this problem, but I was skeptical of the 3V idea, but I am glad it worked!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-