Wanna see mine?

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Burkhard Rasch, Apr 23, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi friends!
    New to this forum (usualy interested in clocks,Pwatches and 400dayers) I thought perhaps some of You might appreciate pics of the biggest of my clocks:It`s the commemorative modell of the firm of Eduard Korfhage and Son in Melle/Lower Saxony/germany to celebrate the 150 Year (!)of producing tower clocks in 1995.The firm still exists and is run by Ed.Korfhage 6th generation.There is a story behind me having this clock but that perhaps later.Hope You enjoy!
    Burkhard

DSCI0013.JPG DSCI0015.JPG DSCI0016.JPG

Paul M and Dave T like this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rasch, wow, that is some clock very nice.About how long is it , top to bottom.
    Very nice clock to have in your home. :thumb:

3. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Kevin
    overall height is ca 140cm,the movement is ca 50cm.Pendulum is a one second beater.
    Burkhard

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would that measurement be from the bottom of the pendulum up?
    Does not look like a heavy clock.Not like most tower clocks i have seen.

5. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Kevin!
    As You see it`s a time only movement and indeed not to big to have it in a normal living room.It`s not a "Towerclock" in the strict sense of the word but-as the maker explained to me-ment for showing the time publicly on a small cityhall or even on a firmbuilding or the villa of an emloyer.It has cast iron plates with brass bearings for the pivots,a dead beat esc. and a maintaining power device and a mecanism to release the heavy pendulum in case of a pallet hitting onto the tooth of the esc.wheel.Time is seen on a minute only dial just for regulation.
    Burkhard

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard, very interesting looking clock. Sort of displays like a skeleton clock. Have you thought about making a dial for it to drive?

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A clock of that type and size seems rare to me, i dont see many of them.Yes a dial ith hands would be nice to have on it. :thumb:

8. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Harold!
    Yes,a dial has come to my mind too,but it`s not the dial but the motion work that I need first.Perhaps I find one on ebay one day....
    These clocks were quiet common here ,allmost every clock factory had a timepiece like that in their programm.Must have been a great demand in the times of "industrial revolution"in the 19th century.They are verry much sought after since they fit better in a regular family home than the big striking and chiming examples.Pendulum length is 143 cm over all.
    Burkhard

9. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    Tower Clock Movement looks like the same size as the movements made by the US manufacturers Howard and Seth Thomas in the late 1800's early 1900's that were used in post clocks.

Attached Files:

10. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Electric!
    That´s a lovely clock too:clap:I would estimate it a little bit smaller than mine,but some similarities in general layout and style of decoration.Is it also a second beater?Is it wound by hand or with an electric motor?
    Burkhard

11. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    It is wound by hand.

12. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Electric;

Wow! That has what looks like one massive weight. Is that what I'm seeing with the built in pulley? How much does it weigh?

RJ

13. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You need the Motion Works and a set of Planetary Gears copied from the ones you already have.

Nice movement.

14. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Friends
    The weight of mine is 14.4 KG and the pendulum total(bob plus rod etc.) is
    11.3 KG.
    Burkhard

15. notaregift

notaregift New Member

Jun 1, 2008
    wow. that's a beautiful clock! and quite heavy too! lol.

16. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love how you have it displayed. I know some collectors that had to cut holes in the floors for the pendulums. Would love to hear the story behind the clock.

17. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK,here we go : Many Years ago I visited "our" antic dealer in the Ruhr area where we lived at that time . He knew that I was interested in clocks and watches and he wellcomed me with somthing he had bought not knowing what it actualy was . It was a tower clock movement of about the same type as the above ,but even ca 10% smaller than this one.It was missing the pendulum incl suspension spring,weight,pully and cable. I had allways wanted a small tower clock and he sold it to me for what he´d payed for. Years later there was an exhibition in the near by Cloppenburg open air museum about clock- and watchmaking in northern Germany and I learned that Eduard Korffhage still was in the business.In this exhibition Korffhage showed a couple of his great tower clock together with this jubilee model of which 10 were made and indicated that not all of them had been sold out.The retail price of the complete clock was 6000,-DM,quiet a sum at that time!. Couple of days later I called Mr. Korffhage and asked if he perhaps could help me with my clock and the missing parts.He invited me to come around with my stuff and he would see what he could do. I was recieved verry friendly a few weeks later and Mr.Korffhage showed me his huge collection of tower clocks -mostly early Korffhage models,but also other manufacturers-that he had accumulated when he built in new electronic systems to replace the old clocks.After the tour through his collection he wanted to see what I had brough with me and he allmost started crying when he saw my movement:It was a verry early Korffhage that he knew that it existed but had never seen before.He offered his help and we agreed on a verry reasonable price (150,-DM) for the work and parts provided I wouldn´t push him.
    9 month later I recieved a card from Mr. Korffhage "Your clock is ready" When I came to pic up my clock he recieved me with "bad news" : He couldn´t hand out the clock to me he said,because he was determined to have it.He asked wether I wanted that specific clock,and when I answered that I just wanted a small tower clock he offered the jubilee model for the agreed price of the repair.I was verry impressed by the attitude and the willingness to compensate me with that valuable clock and of cause I agreed.So we both were satisfied , and I went home with a brand new tower clock!
    I fixed it with four strong bolts to the free standing chimney in my living room and the gentle tic-toc is transfered throughout our house.
    Burkhard

Raymond Rice and Mr. Time like this.
  18. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a beautiful and great clock story!

I like to hear and read about stories such as this one.

Oh....and yes that clock movement is awesome!

I wish I had a clock movement like that displayed in my home.

Thank you for posting and sharing it with us all.

19. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard, what a great clock and a fascinating backstory. I'll bet Mr. Korffage also enjoys the backstory on his new/old clock.
    Ray Rice