Waltham

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Post the serial number of the movement for exact infromation.
For now - it's a 7 jewel wristwatch made/cased probably in the 1920s, using a small, 7 jewel, lower grade Waltham movement. Nice watch altogether, but the movement is not exciting - popular grade.

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Post the serial number of the movement for exact infromation.
For now - it's a 7 jewel wristwatch made/cased probably in the 1920s, using a small, 7 jewel, lower grade Waltham movement. Nice watch altogether, but the movement is not exciting - popular grade.
To expand on the previous posting the movement was manufactured in or around 1912, it is a Grade "No.161" Model 1907, Unadjusted O Size, over 1/3 of a million units made. Probably originally made as a pendant watch or a small ladies hunter pocket watch. As has previous been said, cased later in the wrist watch form.

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
The total production of this movement (just this grade 161, that is) is above 300000, so the movement is nothing special. The watch as whole - well, it's hard to tell from the pictures what is the case made of. If it's nickel it's less, if silver or gold plated - more collectable. Not worth a lot of money, but such watches in fine ciondition are always a nice addition to one's collection, I think...

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Personally I find some nickel cases very handsome, even better than worn, brassed gold plated ones. But those higher grade, gold plated ones are usually worth more :)
I'd replace the crystal with new, colorless one (it used to be colorless as well, but has gone yellow in time). Also, the hands look rusty (when the crystal gets yellow it's considered to be releasing corrosive gases, or so I've read), so maybe they'll need some cleaning or polishing and rebluing (or - easier - repainting, though it's not the perfect way to restore them). I think this might become a nice watch with just a little effort. It's a good looking piece...

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Nickel case:(
I don't think the case is nickel. "Monarch" was a trademark of the Brooklyn Watch Case Co., and was used to identify cases that were 14k gold-filled. This one is white gold-filled.

myk

Sep 18, 2007
Ukraine
Country
I don't think the case is nickel. "Monarch" was a trademark of the Brooklyn Watch Case Co., and was used to identify cases that were 14k gold-filled. This one is white gold-filled.
No,pure nickel

Last edited:

Literustyfan

NAWCC Member
Oct 22, 2010
Spring, Texas
www.lrfantiquewatches.com
Country
Region
Cary is 100% correct, it's a 14k white gold filled case, not Nickel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoseM.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-