Waltham watch grades?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by syeht, Oct 16, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. syeht

syeht Registered User

Jun 26, 2009
    From what I found it seems like the P.S. Bartlett line was higher end. The Equity line was low end. I found a P.S. Bartlett watch #9539006 with an Equity dial. :???::???::???:

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    If one were to consider all jeweled watch movements as being separated into three grade groups; low; medium; and high; then the P.S. Bartlett can be considered to be in the middle of the middle grade group. Check out where the P.S. Bartlett shows up in the catalog pages in the Waltham watches Wiki article.

The Equity dial doesn't belong on a P.S. Bartlett - it didn't leave the factory with it.

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From the serial number your Bartlett is an 18-size 1883 model watch . An Equity dial (or any other 16-size dial) would not even fit your watch without removing the dial feet.

4. syeht

syeht Registered User

Jun 26, 2009
    quick pics of the watch. dial is 45mm

Attached Files:

5. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well ... so much for certainty among us old-timers. The dial looks like a genuine 18-size Equity dial. That would be a first for me, as well as the first double-sunk Equity dial I have ever heard of. I have never heard of an 18-size Equity movement (but wouldn't dare say, now, that they don't exist), but perhaps Waltham developed some short-lived campaign to sell 18-size watches through their Equity Watch Co. arm?

6. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    The dial might well be a private label dial, totally different from Waltham's Equity Watch Co. name.

7. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kent, the style of the Equity name on the dial matches the style used in some of Waltham's Equity advertising, specifically with the tail of the "y" extending to the left towards the "q". This is clearly Waltham's Equity brand. I am just wondering if in the 'teens they decided to sell off some less-desirable 18-size hunter movements through this label.

syeht - this turns out to be a pretty interesting find :clap:

8. Brian C.

Brian C. Registered User

Jun 9, 2001
    NH
    Country Flag:
    Look at the size of the head of the screw, holding on the balance cock. Has someone been toying with this one?

9. syeht

syeht Registered User

Jun 26, 2009
    I looked at it close up. doesn't look like it's ever been touched. I think it's just the lighting. Any ideas where to research this watch?

10. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can see a couple of chips in the edges of the screw slot indicating that someone had been there before, the screw is way too small for the balance cock, see the pictures I have posted.

Attached Files:

11. syeht

syeht Registered User

Jun 26, 2009
    Okay I'll give you that. I re looked under 40x loupe. Probably not the original screw. But still a very unusual watch.Nobodies seen an 18s Equity dial, let along a double sunk Equity dial.Still searching for more info.