Marine: WALTHAM WATCH GIMBALLED CHRONOMETER questions

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by George, Feb 2, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. George

George Registered User

Aug 19, 2009
    was publisher/photographer
    New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    I have an advert from National Geographic 1918 which appears to be a full page stating...The Waltham Chronometer times the war ships of Uncle Sam and Britain. etc etc
    I know many dont concider this to be a Chronometer but that seems to me to be a split decision...
    My questions for these are..Were all of these used during first world war on US Navy ships and not just torpedoe boats ie as master timekeeper?
    The up graded ones used in second world war were these only used on small coastal ships?
    Was this watch developed by Waltham for US shipping during first world war? Ive seen ads suggesting this to be the case.
    One thing I do know ..I have one only genuine key for the inner box..All of my last 5 Waltham chronometers have been locked with this key..no its not a skeleton key. I wonder if Waltham only used the same lock and key for every unit.
    I find this lovely piece a thing to admire, with a beautifull wooden box made by true craftsmen, have a look at how the brass pieces are attatched. They are a lovely talking point situated on top of coffee table and it has a function that only needs winding weekly.

2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello George,

I will attempt to answer your questions.....

This clock is called a "deck watch" and could not achieve accuracy required by a chronometer. Waltham did not produce any chronometers for either WWI or WWII; they could not achieve accuracy required by navy.

Waltham manufactured these clocks prior/beginning of World War I and some probably saw service on small naval vessels.. They were often referred to a "Torpedo Boat Clocks".

This basic clock was developed by Waltham in 1908 as a car clock (7 jewel movement); it is a basically a massive pocket watch / clock that has 2 mainspring barrels to power it for 8 days.

Waltham developed a 15 jewel version and sold it for a variety of applications: travel clock, deck watches gimballed & non-gimballed, and jeweler's counter clock.

Glad you enjoy them.... Andy Dervan

3. George

George Registered User

Aug 19, 2009
    New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for that Andy, I have just taken delivery of one in both boxes and on brass tub is engraved US NAVY..n365. I assumed this would have been on a vessel? Ill post a pic of the Waltham advt that is realy a load of rubbish!..How would they get away with that and in such a prestigious publication as Geographic.:confused:

4. George

George Registered User

Aug 19, 2009
    New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Pic of Waltham Advert
    Regards George

Attached Files:

5. George

George Registered User

Aug 19, 2009
    New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    George's unpaid secretary and dish washer upper. I noticed when viewing the advert below that it was unreadable, so I have typed it below for your info.
    kind regards linda

Waltham Chronometer
    Times the War Ships of Uncle Sam and Britain
    Dreadnoughts of war guarding the gateways of nations; destroyers vigilantly roaming the seas in quest of their hidden prey; ocean leviathans that carry their passengers safely from shore to shore when peace reigns these are guided in their activities by Waltham Chronometers.

No greater faith was every shown in the precision of a timepiece than when the war governments of the United States, England and Canada placed their orders at Waltham.
    Faith based on tests of which proved the reliability and precision of the Waltham Chronometer.
    Waltham, the only watch factory in the world equipped to make Chronometers, is also supplying other timepieces for war work. Deck clocks, comparing watches, airplane clocks, wrist watches, all made at Waltham, are doing their bit in helping the Allies go “over the top” to victory.

Visit the jeweler whose reputation stands highest for quality. Ask him to show you some of the Waltham models – for example, the Riverside. Here is a watch you will be proud to give or to own. Moderate in price, and made in five sizes – three for men and two for women.
    The Riverside symbolizes that lofty ideal of fine watchmaking which has led the horological experts of the greatest nations to choose Waltham in preference to any other watch made in America – in preference also to the finest timepieces of Switzerland, England or France.
    WALTHAM
    THE WORLD’S WATCH OVER TIME

“Mention the Geographic - It identifies you”.