Waltham Vanguard 18 size with wind indicator

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Thomas Tallant, Nov 18, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thomas Tallant

Thomas Tallant Registered User

Oct 28, 2004
    Hello:

Does anyone know how many Waltham Vanguard (model 1892) 18 size with wind indicator watches were made?

Thanks,

2. Thomas Tallant

Oct 28, 2004
    Hello:

Does anyone know how many Waltham Vanguard (model 1892) 18 size with wind indicator watches were made?

Thanks,

3. Thomas Tallant

Oct 28, 2004
    Sorry, I meant to also say that this particualr Vanguard has 23 jewels.

4. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Thomas,

Kent Singer has a lot of data on these and will probably chime in soon (if he's around). You might also do a search of the message board as I believe that some of Kent's (and Ed's) data on these has been posted previously.

FWIW, here's a picture of the dial on one 23j '92 model indicator:

http://hometown.aol.com/gfrauen10/wal23ind.jpg

5. Snide

Snide Registered User

Mar 6, 2001
    Thomas-

The current research would suggest that there were around 3000 Model 92 23 jewel Vanguard Wind Indicators made. The Gray Book shows 3 runs, one of 500, one of 800 and one of 100, and a split run of 21 and 23 jewel movements, with a combined total of 950. The problem is that they show up in other runs, and movments that are not Wind Indicators show up in some of the book runs. Nailing down an accurate figure may never happen. Suffice to say, they are scarce, and very collectable.

Jim

PS If you would like to email me the serial number I would add it to the database which would move us closer to accurate figures.

6. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The best estimates that Kent & I have on the 23 jewel 18 size Vanguards is about 2,150 in open face and 100 in hunting. As Jim said, we will probably never know the exact quantities involved.
    We know that Elgin offered a 'refit' service to add the winding indicator to older Elgins already in service. Waltham may have done the same, although we have not seen this documented. If they did, or if there were other independant firms that offered this 'aftermarket' service, it may account for some of the wind indicators that seem to stand alone in the serial number lists.

7. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Waltham's 1922 "Price List of Waltham Watch Material" includes a section on factory services for cleaning and various conversions. The price list indicates a charge of $10 to add a winding indicator to a Maximus and $5 to add a winding indicator to a Vanguard. The list does not specify which size this refers to and I imagine this would be to add the feature to a watch ordered from the factory -- it seems awfully cheap, even for that time period, for a conversion of a customer's watch. For example they charged $5 to clean and readjust a standard watch.