American PW Help wind/set Waltham Up Down Indicator Adjustment

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by bcpitch5, Dec 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bcpitch5

bcpitch5 Registered User

Oct 29, 2011
    I have a Waltham 16s Crescent St. Mod 1908 pocket watch with up down indicator. When it is wound fully the indicator hand goes to 0 like it should but when it is completely wound down the hand goes down as it should however it is well past the 24 hour mark and is pointing at the 12. Is there a way to adjust this or maybe the mainspring is not right/too long? Any help would be appreciated!

2. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I believe that it's normal for the winding indicator to go past 24 hours. The mainspring offers something like 36 hours worth of power i.e. the winding indicator only covers a portion of the power range.

The idea was that in addition to ascertaining at a glance when the watch was last wound, the owner could also keep the watch within the most isochronous power range of the mainspring, sort of like a visual stop works.

Paul Raposo likes this.
  3. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just for comparison's sake here's the sequence of winding indicator values for my Crescent St. The sequence covers from fully wound through completely unwound. You'll note that the 0-24 hours scale covers the middling portion of the spring's power reserve & that the winding indicator goes off-scale at both extremes:

Waltham Crescent WI Dial1.jpg Waltham Crescent WI Dial2.jpg Waltham Crescent WI Dial3.jpg

Waltham Crescent WI Dial4.jpg Waltham Crescent WI Dial5.jpg

Hope this helps

4. bcpitch5

bcpitch5 Registered User

Oct 29, 2011
    Thank you!

5. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Just backing you up-I see the same thing....I also have a couple pals with 36 hour WI chapters too.