Waltham "U.S.A." Dials

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Beetlebug, Aug 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi,
    I've done a search here and found that most people think Waltham dials with the "U.S.A." on them under "Waltham" were only for export. I've seen quite a few of these for sale in this country so it makes me wonder if that really is the case. Anyone know for sure what the intent of these markings were? Thanks.

2. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi,
    I've done a search here and found that most people think Waltham dials with the "U.S.A." on them under "Waltham" were only for export. I've seen quite a few of these for sale in this country so it makes me wonder if that really is the case. Anyone know for sure what the intent of these markings were? Thanks.

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think "only" is like "always" only to be used at ones own peril.

The dials appear on almost all watches for the English market and they are pretty scarce on watches with established American provenance.

Dials that are for sale now are left over stock of the company or its suppliers. They, of course, are here because they were never put on watches that were exported. At least I think that is the most reasonable explanation.