Waltham "trench watch" stem repair

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Roy Horrorlogic, Sep 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have just excavated a Waltham with a Dennison case from the "later" pile. I have almost no experience of this brand. The whole watch seems in pretty good shape but lacks a crown. The stem is present but is captive in the case. I'm unable to find a crown for it among the hundreds of old crowns I possess. The outer thread diameter is approximately 1.2 mm but has some wear in the part that I can measure although the threads are not too badly damaged. It occurs to me that this thread may be a non-metric size. Also am I correct in thinking that the stem tube has an inner sleeve? I'd greatly appreciate some tips on how to deal with this and trust that the pics are adequate.
    Roy
    View attachment 356335

View attachment 356336

View attachment 356337

View attachment 356338

View attachment 356339

View attachment 356340

2. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like you are correct about the pendant being threaded, and the sleeve being threaded into it. You'll need to get a sleeve-wrench in order to remove it (Look on auction sites or check daveswatchparts.com -Dave Coatsworth, for one. I'm sure he has a few.). It's a good idea to count the number of turns before it the sleeve comes out. That way you can get close to the depth necessary for winding and setting features to work properly. They are depth-sensitive.

Good luck.

3. Roy Horrorlogic

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    My detailed reply just got nuked...
    Quickly (and thanks!) the fitted movement sets and winds but when in the "relaxed" position the crown is too far out and now in the "set" position. Pushing in all the way it winds just fine. Before I start meddling, I'd appreciate an informed opinion as to which dimension is wrong.
    Roy

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since yours has the standard sleeve setup, as opposed to the negative-set, you should be able to adjust it by turning the sleeve inward, i.e. tightening. Again, you want to count the number of turns so you can get back to where you were if the desired effect is not obtained.

This video should explain some of it to you. It's one of those things that's not delved into much, so there's not a lot of information on it out there.

If I'm wrong about the direction, I hope someone chimes in with confirmation. But I'm pretty sure that's the way for your situation, to tighten. The negative set would be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDsdVsRUcUE

5. Roy Horrorlogic

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you again. I hadn't thought to check YT as it seemed to be so obscure (and it is.) Now I have to get a stem wrench - I'm waiting for a reply from Dave as to which one. I also spotted a bezel milling tool on his site which appeals. I'd have a better excuse had the current target not moved on but I encounter plenty of damaged bezels and back plates, which I assume it would also be able to address. But I need to sort this stem problem out first; I'm a sucker for tools and can usually convince myself.
    Roy