Waltham Pocket Watch

Cjrppw

May 9, 2021
Country
Hello everyone,

im new i just found this site. I was at an antique shop today and i found this watch. It says waltham pocket watch 6520106 working fine and with original box that says mermod jaccard & co St. Louis and it says data sheet available.

I have no idea what a data sheet is
and im curious to find out what its worth? I didnt buy it but its been there for a few months. I just dont know anything about pocket watches let alone this manufacture.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Hi and welcome to the NAWCC forum!

I'm sure some members will be by soon to give you some good answers

Rob

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The following thread contains some information on Mermod & Jaccard and also shows some watches in thheir cases.

The Jaccard Companies | NAWCC Forums

Do you know whether the number 6520106 is taken from the case or the watch movement? It would make a difference. The number on the movement would allow for the information you seek.

Reactions: musicguy

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
If the question is really "If I buy it, can I then sell it at a profit" then with >95% confidence I can say no, not even close.

If the question is really "Could I buy the same thing cheaper elsewhere" then the answer is maybe. Check the online auction sites (particularly the Sold Listings) to see what similar watches in a similar condition usually change hands for.

I have no idea what a data sheet is either, but anyway if you ask them to show you it, it may yield some information which is useful to all of us in understanding what we have here.

Reactions: MrRoundel

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
....but you need to be very careful. Waltham was a very fine American watch and clock brand which ended production years ago. (There should be several histories on the web you can read.) These days it's a brand name the Chinese use to sell the same in the USA.

Some one offered me a "broken Waltham clock" 4 years ago. I was excited to get a free clock until I got into it and realized it was a modern re-make.

Here are some clues... A true pocket watch from the 1890's will have tell-tale signs of wear on the exterior, and may have an inscription on the inside cover. I've never seen a vintage pocket watch with ANY surviving paperwork. A true Waltham of that period will say "17 jewels" on the movement.

The new watches will keep good time, if you just need to know the time. However, they just won't have the historical significance or be the works of art you might have gone into an antique store to discover. Most antique stores pass all watches and clocks to a local watchmaker. If you're truly looking for historical significance, then that's where you need to visit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I've never seen a vintage pocket watch with ANY surviving paperwork.
I just saw a Waterbury series E in it's original box(with instructions), and a Keystone Howard
with paperwork today.

Rob

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
My guess is that the "data sheet" would look a lot like a printout of the serial number from pocketwatchdatabase.com, or the like. And off the top of my head I'd say that the serial number provided is from the movement. I just don't remember seeing many, if any, cases that have a serial number that high. This, of course, is just another guess. Good luck.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
My guess is that the "data sheet" would look a lot like a printout of the serial number from pocketwatchdatabase.com
I agree that's what I would assume as well.

Rob

Reactions: luvsthetick

luvsthetick

Mar 31, 2010
Georgia
Country
Region
I've never seen a vintage pocket watch with ANY surviving paperwork.
I have some watches with the original box, warranty papers and even the original receipt.

Granted, they are probably not what one could call plentiful, but they do exist and do come up for sale. Musicguy just saw two.

Here is an example of one of mine.

DSC_0005 (2)a.jpg

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I guess without pictures we will never know what the original poster was talking about.
Since they do not own the watch they would have to ask the
antique dealer if they could open it and takes some photos.
The dealer may not be comfortable doing that or the buyer might
not be either.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian Cooney
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller