• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Waltham pocket watch....silver case ???

PJQL

Jun 13, 2011
Cornwall UK
Country
Region
Hi all, I have here a very nice, and fairly common 1891 Waltham pocket watch....size 16 I think, in excellent working condition. I am pretty much clued up on Walthams ( one of my favourite marques..)....but my query is about the case. It looks like silver ( although I think the cuvette is plated....), and has what appears to be gilt covered rims on both sides. Inside the rear cover are four apparent hallmarks. There are three shields depicting a capital D, P and F. Below them is what I believe to be an elephant, facing left to right with an extended trunk. The entire body of the elephant, from tail to trunk, is emphasised with lines, but the tusk and ear are shiny/defined. There are no other marks except for the usual watchmakers' service engravings. Does anyone recognise the marks please, or advise me further ? I have tried trawling various 'hallmark' sites, without success. The stamps are very defined, and don't look like fakes......but I've been wrong before !!!! I will attach photos to assist, but at the moment the system is not accepting jPeg uploads. Thank in anticipation..........Piers Ok...photos now attached. Hope you can help !

Attachments

Last edited:

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
Based on s/n 5 487 819 you have a key wound/key set Waltham size18 model 1883 11jewel watch according to the Grey Book. 1891-92 time frame

As for the case, a big question mark. I doubt it is silver. It lacks English hallmarks and American made silver cases, in my experience, will say so.

PJQL

Jun 13, 2011
Cornwall UK
Country
Region
Appreciated Ron....thanks.

****** Anybody out there can help identify the marks please ?? ******

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela