• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Waltham Pocket watch in Silver

Andrewjohn

Nov 13, 2012
www.twitter.com
Just wondering if anybody can shed some light on a Waltham Pocket watch in Silver that i have just purchased on ebay? I normally look up and research a pocket watch before purchasing but somtimes go with a gut feeling on the look of a pocket watch. The only 3 pictures of the item are $T2eC16d,!ygE9s7HKKkwBQl9vtS1pw~~60_14.jpg $T2eC16R,!zQE9s3ssOOGBQm6OlJioQ~~60_14.jpg $T2eC16V,!w0E9szNZI-(BQm6OhhM5g~~60_14.jpg The serial number is 5487349 it also says te are SILVER HALLMARKS,AB IN A RECTANGLE. Sorry the is only limited information,i am waiting for the item to be deliverd,i am just trying to find out some of its history before i recieve the item!

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
From what you're saying (although it's hard to see in those tiny photos), it looks like it was exported to England and cased in a Sterling case there. The SN you state would put it as a 11 jewel model 1883, and, produced in the second half of 1892, should be one of around 15,000 produced in that configuration.

Last edited:

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
They are better, but to tell more about the case we need to see the marks inside the lid after you get it.

There isn't too much else to say about the movement as overall the 1883 was one of, if not the single most popular size 18 movement Waltham ever made, numbering to at least around 5 million (a quick estimate, not an exact count) in overall production when accounting for all the various grades. Take into consideration the fact that Waltham only made around 35 million movements total in their 105-year production history, and you see just how popular a model the model 1883 was for them.

Last edited:

Andrewjohn

Nov 13, 2012
www.twitter.com
With a bit of luck it shall be getting deliverd in the next few days so i shall be able to take some photographs myself..many thanks for your replyd though,much appreciated.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi,

If the case is English, then the 'AB' mark could well stand for Alfred Bedford, who was the manager of the UK operation of Waltham, and was associated with Aaron Lufkin Dennison in Birmingham. It will be interesting to see the full set of hallmarks, which will confirm where and when the case was made and assayed.

Regards,

Graham

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Hi,

If the case is English, then the 'AB' mark could well stand for Alfred Bedford, who was the manager of the UK operation of Waltham, and was associated with Aaron Lufkin Dennison in Birmingham. It will be interesting to see the full set of hallmarks, which will confirm where and when the case was made and assayed.

Regards,

Graham
Good info Graham.
I post to track this thread and see.

A

Andrewjohn

Nov 13, 2012
www.twitter.com
Thankyou for your wonderfull information with little detail i could provide! As soon as i receive the item this week i will be sure to take my own photographs withgreat detail. Many thanks again

AndrewJohn

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
I'm so horrible at identifying English marks...alas, I still must give it a try. Birmingham, 1893? It would be consistent with the late-1892 estimate for the movement.

And the AB, could that be for Albert Blanckensee, casemaker in Birmingham from 1890-1910? Someone who knows more will probably give you better info, but I have to try if I'm ever going to get any better at these...

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi,

I still think the AB is for Alfred Bedford, manager of Waltham in the UK, and Squite has the date exactly as 1893 in Birmingham.

Regards,

Graham

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
A significant number of Waltham movements I've seen that were exported to England were cased in AB cases. I agree that Alfred Bedford is the most likely maker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJLEBOATBABE
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-