Waltham pocket watch conversion

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Wilma45, Jun 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

What do you think best suites this watch?

1. Changed to wrist watch in 1960's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ladies watch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Changed to wrist watch around 1904-1915 (mens WW)

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Wilma45

Wilma45 New Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I recently purchased a Waltham pocket watch that appears to be converted to a wrist watch at some point. It was made during the civil war and I bought it because I found it attractive and love things of historical value. I noticed that there was discussion about Waltham pocket watches with the eagle symbol on the case but were of silver, mine is gold. Can anyone tell me more about this watch or how I can find more about its history. I have located serial number of watch and case serial number sites, but I would like to learn more. I have attached a photo.
    Thanks IMG_1119[4355].JPG

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Hi and welcome to the NAWCC forum

If you can include a clear photo of the inside of the watch(the movement the works)
    that would help a lot.

Rob

3. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The photo is awfully blurry, but I seem to see the "winged wheel" used as a trade mark by the American Watch Case Co. ("AWCC") of Toronto, together with the word "CASHIER".

Normally that would signify that your case is gold-filled, warranted against being abraded down to the underlying brass metal for a period of 21-25 years.

A clearer shot might help, as would typing out the case information shown on the inside of the back cover.

Incidentally, the American watch manufacturers routinely exported uncased movements into Canada, where the movements would then be installed inside Canadian-made cases. This practice had benefits from the customs duties perspective. AWCC was a key player in that practice indeed, I believe that its shareholders included American watch company interests.

4. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Add my welcome to the others!

Very interesting, and a few good pictures like stated above and we can tell you all about your watch, I'm sure! The case serial number will not tell you anything about your watch at all unfortunately. There are no records from case companies. The serial number to look up is the one stamped on the movement that you will see once you open up that second cover in the back of your watch.

I see a winged wheel too, Vic. Very curious about the movement.

5. Wilma45

Wilma45 New Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:

6. Wilma45

Wilma45 New Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    #6 Wilma45, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Here are some photos that should help some I think.

IMG_1119[4355].JPG IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1122.JPG IMG_1124.JPG IMG_1126.JPG

serial #: 555792 on case with 07 below
    movement serial#:14214194

7. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    What is the serial number in the movement?

Rob

8. Wilma45

Wilma45 New Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    The serial number of the movement is: 14214194. You're onto something?

9. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately, it's quite late to have anything to do with the civil war. The movement dates to 1891 according to pocketwatchdatabase. It's an 0 sized movement. It was common for someone to have a women's pocketwatch movement (such as an 0 size) cased in a wristwatch case in the teens and early 20s when wrist watches became popular. So the case is most likely a later recase. It is a man's wristwatch, and a good looker too. I'm sure someone will come by to add to this, but that's a good general overview. Thanks for posting it!

Dano4734 likes this.
  10. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one similar. Sterling case by the same case maker as yours, and my Waltham movement dates 1914.

As per the dating of mine, it could have been through wwi. It certain looked like it went through a war when I got it, haha! But there's no proof. The age and style of your watch puts it in the same era, but once again there's just no proof it was in wwi, but it was definitely around during it.

musicguy likes this.
  11. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    You have a 7 jewel Waltham model 1891 grade "Seaside" manufactured about 1904. Originally it would have been in a "hunting" style case with a cover over the dial.
    View attachment 538260

12. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Wilma45,

Just so there is no confusion in this thread, Rick above said, " the movement dates to 1891"
    and rolandantrobus said, "manufactured about 1904".

I'm sure Rick just read the database incorrectly(and referenced the model year, not date made)

Serial number #14214194 is made circa 1904
    Total made 969,789, model 1891, grade "Seaside".

Rob

13. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, I did exactly that Rob, thanks. Got the numbers crossed, sorry about that

Wrote both numbers down and mixed them up.

14. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On account of its size, we would usually refer to this as a ladies watch. There is no hard & fast rule as to what constitutes female - it's more to do with how the watches were marketed back in the day.
    I see many similar examples offered for sale as either a "conversion" or a "trench watch".
    Look closely at the lugs and how they are fixed on... does it look like this was done properly in the factory or are they crudely soldered into place by a hobbyist?