American PW Waltham model 1883 parts

IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
Hello all,
Would a complete balance from a 7 jewel model 1883 Waltham fit and be appropriate for a 17 jewel model 1883 Waltham? What about the fourth wheel with seconds pinion?? I am restoring a 17 jewel model and am trying to find out which movements I can rob parts from or basically where to get these parts.

Thanks!

IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
Hello all,
Would a complete balance from a 7 jewel model 1883 Waltham fit and be appropriate for a 17 jewel model 1883 Waltham? What about the fourth wheel with seconds pinion?? I am restoring a 17 jewel model and am trying to find out which movements I can rob parts from or basically where to get these parts.

Thanks!

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
For the model 1883 I have to balances listed.
1376 - Balance, Expansion Small
1378 - Balance, Expansion Large

For the 4th wheel I have
1297 - Fourth wheel, Gilt Small Hole 80 Teeth
1297A - " " " large hole " "
1298 Fourth Wheel, Gilt, 80 teeth and pinions, 10 leaves for K.W. or Hunting S. W.
1301 Fourth Wheel, Gilt, 80 teeth and pinion, 10 leaves, for O.F. S.W. only.

So the answer is maybe. There seems to be two balances and two fourth wheels. If they are both OF the fourth wheel should work.

One place to look for parts is Uncle Larry at http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/index/waltham.htm

Don

IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
Ok,
I have the movement in front of me now. I have found the fourth wheel ok, but here is my delima. The balance wheel is here, but the roller table and hairspring are gone. (This is a private label movement otherwise I would not bother restoring it!) My question is, how hard will it be to get this watch to run correctly with a NOS hairspring?? Or, would it be better to look for a used complete balance? I would prefer to use the one originally on it, but I am not made of money. :)

Any help is appreciated!!

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
You should be able to bring a new hairspring on your original balance to time by adding and removing weight. The timing washers are even rated for how much they'll change the rate. Removing weight and maintaining poise may take a little tinkering, but not too much.

That's assuming a studded spring. If it's not studded you'd need to vibrate it to time.

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
Vibrating a fresh hairspring is a skill that most people who took watchmaking courses learned to do, but forgot. It is also rather time consuming so it is hard to find someone to do it. I assume it is not cheap. Jim Micheals still does it and I am sure there are others out there. I do only for my own watches.

You can get a studded hairspring off a parts watch or a studded NOS harisping and it should be close enough that adjusting the mass of the balance as suggest by Smudgy should work. Dashto has a parts movement at http://www.dashto.org/newlists/partialmovements.htm

Don

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool