• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Waltham Model 1872 & 1888 PL Challenge - Are there any private labels out there?

Nigel Harrison

Oct 30, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Country
Region
Hard to tell from the photos but the enamel looks very questionable and possibly non-factory. Some photos depict there is the appearance of an adhesive around the perimeter of the enamel?
I can see some little filled in touch ups on the edge of the enamel by the looks...I think that is all it is(some white out or similar). It does look quality and original to me, the case gold patterning has allowed for the enameling. Plus they do love their floral and fancy embellishments on many Southern countries in the Americas.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
That's a sharp looking movement and PL nice find.

Rob

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Hi Phil, I have no specific info on whether or not these were made as PL's, but I do know that the highly regarded poet Lord Alfred Tennyson died in late 1892, and his "Complete Works" were published in 1894, which parallel the dates on these watches. So lacking any other info I'd speculate that they may have been Waltham made memorials to the beloved poet - but I have no real proof either way. And as far as the addresses, etc., I've seen PL's done every which way, with and without.
Way off the topic, but here is a great performer, Loreena McKennitt, singing my favorite Tennyson poem, the The Lady of Shalott, with musical accompaniment:

You can "Skip" the ads at the beginning of the Youtube.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatH and musicguy

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I bought that CD/album when it came out

Rob

Nigel Harrison