Waltham Mdl 72 gold Pallet Fork.....

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
Have any of the Waltham Model 72 experts seen a gold pallet fork before on a 72? It is on a late"Royal" grade around 4 million serial number. Not marked NonMagnetic. I've not taken down to many 72's, but have read just about everyting I could find about them, but never has a gold pallet fork been mentioned......just curious,
Harold

Attachments

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
I've never seen that on a '72, but I've had several '83s in that general SN range that had that pallet forks and roller tables that were that same color.

The first time I saw one, I thought it was from someone heating the roller table up too hot replacing the roller jewel. I've seen it enough times on enough watches from different sources, however, that I'm doubting that.

I'm not sure what the material is, but I don't think it's gold.

Later double roller Walthams also had the impulse roller made of a similarly colored material.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I checked a Waltham Parts book. It lists many versions but makes no mention of material composition. This suggests that ther ewer eniether gold nor gilt factory pallet forks.

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
Ben, I just checked, the roller table is a matching color, I now know that both the roller table and fork do not just have a gilt finish, I scratched the bottom side of the fork, it's rather soft, either gold or brass for sure. Since brass over a period of time turns dark, and gold doesn't, this pallet fork still being bright and shiny led me to believe it was gold. What would be the advantage or reason to NOT using a steel pallet fork and roller table if a regular blue hairspring was used, It certainly wouldn't qualify as a non-magnetic version.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Harold, the non-magnetic materials were as you describe for the non-magnetic 72 models. They did not necessarily mark the plates for the non-magnetic models. If the plates are marked the materials should be there, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

I do not recall seeing any non-magnetic parts listed in the parts list, but I have not done a thorough search. They certainly exist in the watches and predate Paillard non-magnetic hairsprings.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions