Waltham Maximus Rarity and NAWCC Bulletin Article

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Beetlebug, Dec 5, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi,
    Recently I got a copy of an April 1985 NAWCC Bulletin which has a rather in depth article on Waltham Maximus watches and their production numbers written by Steve Lindberg. I was surprised to see that my lone Maximus was listed as being rarer than I would have thought. Does anyone know if this article is the definitive one or has their been revisions or corrections over the intervening years? I'd hate to claim that I had a rare watch when in reality it is as common as...well a Maximus.

Thanks for you time.

-Tom Overfield

2. Beetlebug

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi,
    Recently I got a copy of an April 1985 NAWCC Bulletin which has a rather in depth article on Waltham Maximus watches and their production numbers written by Steve Lindberg. I was surprised to see that my lone Maximus was listed as being rarer than I would have thought. Does anyone know if this article is the definitive one or has their been revisions or corrections over the intervening years? I'd hate to claim that I had a rare watch when in reality it is as common as...well a Maximus.

Thanks for you time.

-Tom Overfield

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am afraid it is not the definitive work, although I do not think anything else has come out since to correct the errors. There is at least one run that was missed and in the 10-14 size watches that I am interested in I find that the author has kept as separate variants some runs that should be combined. There are also some variants that are not noted. Which model do you have?

4. Beetlebug

Dec 5, 2002
    Jerry, thanks for the reply.

What I have is a 12s Colonial series Riverside Maximus 23j. The serial number is 160245xx and puts it into a total run of 200 according to his chart. It is too bad that there hasn't been any updates to correct the problems.

Thanks,
    Tom

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although yours is from a run of 200 there were several other runs of the same watch, for a total of 2,411 Colonial Series Riverside Maximus in open-face. The reason that Lindberg lists this run by itself is because it is the only run including 21 and 23-jewel models. I have not seen a 21 jewel Colonial Series Maximus and that may be the scarce one, if it exists.