• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Waltham Maximus Diamond in Opera Case

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Thanks for posting an interesting example. It is always nice to see the dual-labeled Diamond/Maximus. The dial is unusual, but I suspect it has been refinished for a couple of reasons. First, on every Opera Watch dial I have seen the numbers track for the seconds lies immediately outside the sunken area for the seconds hand. The small sink for seconds is quite uncommon so it looks like the printing dies available to the refinisher were only for the larger seconds sink, hence the notable gap outside the sink. Also, I have never seen one with the "MAXIMUS" name on the dial.

I am also very intrigued by the case. I do not recognize the supposed casemaker's symbol (SS), although maybe this is a jobber's mark instead. A close look at your photo shows a shadow of a P.M. mark underneath the SS. I think this indicates a case made by Perry Marks who provided many other cases to Waltham.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I am also very intrigued by the case. I do not recognize the supposed casemaker's symbol (SS), although maybe this is a jobber's mark instead.
I have done a little bit of searching (and looking more closely at the case marking) and I also see a small "A" and an "&" within the SS mark. I suspect this mark may be for Alex Sabin & Sons (New York) who were jewelry wholesalers and importers (as listed in the 4th edition of "The Jewelers' Index", 1927).

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I always like looking at Opera watches.

Rob

Reactions: Joseph Short

netsch20

Nov 26, 2020
Country
Thanks for posting an interesting example. It is always nice to see the dual-labeled Diamond/Maximus. The dial is unusual, but I suspect it has been refinished for a couple of reasons. First, on every Opera Watch dial I have seen the numbers track for the seconds lies immediately outside the sunken area for the seconds hand. The small sink for seconds is quite uncommon so it looks like the printing dies available to the refinisher were only for the larger seconds sink, hence the notable gap outside the sink. Also, I have never seen one with the "MAXIMUS" name on the dial.

I am also very intrigued by the case. I do not recognize the supposed casemaker's symbol (SS), although maybe this is a jobber's mark instead. A close look at your photo shows a shadow of a P.M. mark underneath the SS. I think this indicates a case made by Perry Marks who provided many other cases to Waltham.
So I was just looking at this watch again and was thinking how you mentioned the dial being refinished, specifically noting the seconds track being the larger version. So is that why the seconds hand is so short?

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I doubt that the dial has anything to do with the second hand. It looks broken
and a little rusty(I can't tell)

Rob