Waltham jewelers advertising chronometer

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
The price was not bad kind of cheap was looking for something else in a search on eBay and this popped up had to have it. Figure same movement in Waltham Deck chronometers. I guess jewelers and watchmakers would have this in a glass cabinet with watches they had to sell so customers to set there watches to the correct time. Don't see stuff like this for sell on eBay in a long time remember when cool stuff like this use to pop up in the old days for better prices miss that. Hope I did not over pay. First thing I bought all year this virus thing put me out of whack like a lot of us my mind has not been on collecting. But this was to cool to pass up.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2)a.jpg s-l1600 (2)b.jpg s-l1600 (2)d.jpg s-l1600 (2)m.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Very nice find, there are some deals, really , i just look around.

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
Many jewelers placed these in their storefront windows for all to see and use to set their watch.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Really nice!

Rob

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
One sold at Skinners in 2014 for 615 so the asking price was not bad with a little inflation plus the one at skinners had a replaced screw and wood damage on the side. So think I did OK. Was watching pickers last week they said when you see some thing you don't see often buy it so I did. When I procrastinate some one beats me to it like a British Elgin Deck watch with proper marking and wooden inner box were they wanted by it now think 800 bucks if I remember right best price I seen on eBay I dragged my feet some one beat me to it.

Reactions: Ned L

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I've had a couple of these. They are 15J movements, but neither were the "chronometer" grade movement.

Ralph

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
Received it today. The brass plaque the lower one correct time there missing black paint around the letter would black gloss model paint work. Then get some never dull to buff up the brass palate and clock bezel. Then I guess get it serviced. I guess two mainsprings in these saw otto frie sells them for 39 bucks a pop. The wind indicator don't go to 0 up and stops at the two. The seller says it runs for 8 days and the wind indicator hand needs to be adjusted have a feeling the mainspring mite of been broke so the old mainspring mite of been reused and runs for 6 days instead of eight being shorter had that done with my U-Boat clock were it broke at the tip and the clockmaker reused the old one due to the main spring was hard to find. Hope that's not the case will see by next Tuesday if it runs 8 days. Other wise I am happy with it.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Is the black plate glossy or matte/satin?

Thanks, Ralph

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
That's interesting. Mine is made of aluminum. I think it was anodized glossy black. I have a friend who can slip it in with anodizing they have done, but he says, they only do matte.

I'm surprised yours is made of bakelite. Are you sure?

Ralph

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
Here is one that sold at auction same top as mine better shape to said it was a phenolic top in the auction wonder if they used different types material on them got a photo of yours. I think phenolic material to early I know bakelite was being used at the time these were made I bet bakelite. On the link hit photo to enlarge it you will see the top better not metal. Got a vintage candle stick phone made about the time this clock was made and they used bakelite to make it surprising the phone works when the bell for it rings it sounds as loud as a old fashion fire alarm you hear it in the whole house looks to be the same material.
Waltham Watch Company Eight-day Chronometer Watch | Sale Number 2760M, Lot Number 398 | Skinner Auctioneers

Last edited:

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Waltham made two different types of main springs for these size 37 movements - one type for horizontal mounted movements and another for vertically mounted movements. They have different strengths.

I think the mainsprings will cost more than $ 39 a piece as they are becoming very difficult to acquire.

There are also two different size 37 movements pre/post 1925 and they have different escapements and some other changes.

Waltham Watch Co. material catalogs specify the different parts.

Andy Dervan

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
Got this back from my watchmaker last month had it service one of the main springs was broke and the stem needed to be replaced he replaced both mainsprings she now runs 9-10 days more than the normal 8 days and keeps better time and the wind indicator now shows the proper run time.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
You were lucky he was able to find the main spring and stem as parts are becoming very difficult to find. I suspect the 7 jewel car clock movements will be scavenged for parts.

Nice acquisition - you don't find them in good condition.

Andy Dervan

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
You were lucky he was able to find the main spring and stem as parts are becoming very difficult to find. I suspect the 7 jewel car clock movements will be scavenged for parts.

Nice acquisition - you don't find them in good condition.

Andy Dervan
He had to customize a stem he had to cut it down to fit he told me.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
That's interesting. Mine is made of aluminum. I think it was anodized glossy black. I have a friend who can slip it in with anodizing they have done, but he says, they only do matte.

I'm surprised yours is made of bakelite. Are you sure?

Ralph
I found my plate.

IMG_20210312_141928745_HDR_(1600_x_1200).jpg

PapaLouies

NAWCC Member
Apr 14, 2010
Country
The price was not bad kind of cheap was looking for something else in a search on eBay and this popped up had to have it. Figure same movement in Waltham Deck chronometers. I guess jewelers and watchmakers would have this in a glass cabinet with watches they had to sell so customers to set there watches to the correct time. Don't see stuff like this for sell on eBay in a long time remember when cool stuff like this use to pop up in the old days for better prices miss that. Hope I did not over pay. First thing I bought all year this virus thing put me out of whack like a lot of us my mind has not been on collecting. But this was to cool to pass up.

View attachment 608322 View attachment 608323 View attachment 608324 View attachment 608325 View attachment 608326
Is it 7, 9 or 15 jewel?
Regards, P/L

PapaLouies

NAWCC Member
Apr 14, 2010
Country
They are 15 jewel, but it is not the “chronometer” grade.movement

Ralph
Thanks Ralph,
In 1928 the Naval Observatory converted " 12 Waltham patrol-boat chronometers into second-setting navigational watches."
I think these were simply Waltham Gimbaled Car Clocks!
Regards, P/L

PapaLouies

NAWCC Member
Apr 14, 2010
Country

View attachment 608322 View attachment 608323 View attachment 608324 View attachment 608325 View attachment 608326
Hi River rat,
Could you post a photo of the movement with the Balance at rest?
Regards, P/L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIltonD
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-