Function Waltham identification

scottfe

New User
Jul 31, 2022
Country
Hi all, newbie to the forum here. I'm in the middle of clearing my parents and have found several pocket watches from generations back. However the one which grabbed my attention was a Waltham that my Grandad was gifted by friends and co workers in 1913. See pictures. Any thoughts on model number etc.would be greatly appreciated.
DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG DSC_0186.JPG DSC_0185.JPG DSC_0184.JPG DSC_0183.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC Forum and what a wonderful family watch!

Can you let us know what the serial number is on the movement
(the works inside)
DSC_0188.JPG

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
This is a very common watch. Always nice to see one in complete, original condition. We would consider the 610 as low-grade, entry level. However, if it has been recently serviced by someone who knows what he's doing, then it should still keep very good time, more than adequate for most everyday purposes.

Style-wise the case is exactly typical to see with a movement of this era, likewise the dial and hands. From the photos I don't see any markings to indicate what it's made of. My guess is gold-filled.

I assume there was no chain, and the original box is long gone?
The main point of interest is probably the presentation inscription. I wonder what the story was there.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi scottfe:

Please add my welcome to Rob's

To add to the good information posted by the others:

Please excuse me if I repeat some of what you already know, it's easier for me this way. Checking the references listed in the Walthan Watches Encyclopedia article (and looking at your pictures), Waltham movement serial number 18,224,316 can be seen to be
a 16-size,
model 1908,
grade No. 610,
unadjusted,
pendant-set,
hunting movement,
having 7 jewels,
and a Plain Regulator.
The movement is fitted with a single-sunk, Roman dial.
It was built in about 1913, give or take a year or so. This was a popular movement of which over 227,000 of this variation were made from about 1908 to 1931.

You can see a catalog description of the No. 610 grade, along with a picture and where it fits in Waltham's line of 16-size movements, in rhe lower right-hand corner of page W4 of the Oskamp-Nolting Co. Great American Jewelry Catalog 1917.

Your Watch Case seems to be gold-filled and was made by the Illinois Watch Case Co.

Unless you know that it has been properly cleaned and oiled within the last few years, you should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject. The Encyclopedia article on Choosing a Pocket Watch Repair Person may be useful as well.

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch, it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged - or as far back as you can go, including (and clearly identifying) what you can guess. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Unfortunately, many of the links in our Encyclopedia articles were disrupted when we changed to the current version of our Message Board and its been a long process getting them all reinstated. So, if you come across a broken link and want to see what it led to, just let us know and we'll try and post it.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre