Waltham hunter case

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Rolo, Dec 11, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rolo

Rolo Guest

Hello,

I inherited some time ago a small pocket watch that seems to be a gold filled hunter case watch made by American Waltham Watch Co. SN is 16,232,667. Dust cover is marked with "Capitol W.C. Co warranted 25 years" with a serial number. The hunter case back cover is marked with "Star W.C. Co" and a serial number plus a handgraving made with a pointed object saying "7047 XIV and N 122". I am new to pocket watches and I am puzzled by the small size of that watch (dial is about 1" 10/32), the absence of any model or jewel indication. The case is nicely engraved on about 50-60% of its surface on both sides. The watch came also with a chain dated 1904. Could you tell me more about that watch? What is its size, model? What is its market value? It is complete, in very good condition and functionning. Thanks in advance.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Tom McIntyre, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    The serial number is for a size 6 model 1890 ladies watch. That was keywind and likely sold to the English market. It is a grade "J" or lower grade watch with 7 jewels.

This watch was made around 1906, long after Waltham had stopped producing keywind watches for the domestic market. However, the English were still buying low jewel count gilt finish keywind watches.

The records don't state whether this watch is gilt or nickel finish and you did not mention if it winds with a key. It is possible that it is not correctly recorded in the company records. There are many errors known with many still to be found.

3. Walt Wilkins

Walt Wilkins Registered User

Nov 12, 2006
    Your Waltham is a 6 size 7j, model 1890 according to the Waltham serial list. Pictures of both the case and movement would help in developing more info on this watch. Values are not discussed in this forum, there are reference works such as "The Complete Price Guide to Watches" which can be used as general guide.

4. Rolo

Rolo Guest

Tom and Walt: Thanks for a prompt reply, much appreciated. The watch has a knob or crown for winding, not a key. I'll gladly post pictures just let me know how to upload them.

5. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Rolo:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

Currently, it is recommended that those who do not have web space in which to post pictures register for a free account at flickr.com. This may now open a Yahoo page, but it will still let you register to post pictures. Their menu-driven procedure for loading pictures is about as easy as it gets. After you enlarge the picture, using flickr's magnifying glass icon (the magnifying glass icon appears in a toolbar above the loaded & saved picture once you've clicked on the picture), scroll down below the picture to find the field labeled "1. Grab the photo's URL:" The link in that field is the one to post on the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board. Vic Rose has posted an excellent old ref::Description on How to Post a Picture on the NAWCC Clock Message Board, which of course also works on for posting a picture on the pocket watch message board.

If you have a problem posting the picture(s), you can attach it (them) to an e-mail to me (you can get my email address by clicking on my name in the upper left-hand corner of this post and viewing my Public Profile) and I'll post it (them) for you.

As it says in the upper left-hand corner of this page, timepiece "Appraisal Requests (are) Not Allowed". However, once you know the proper description of your watch, you can use a Google Search to find similar watches offered by internet dealers, or on eBay, and see what they are selling for. Alternately, check the value in the "Complete Price Guide to Watches, No 26," C. Shugart, T. Engle and R. Gilbert, Cooksey Shugart Publications, Cleveland, TN, 2006. A new edition comes out each year in February. The book is available at libraries, at most major booksellers and online at the NAWCC Gift Shop. Condition matters!

Good luck,