• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Waltham-Howard research

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I have recently acquired Howard #1030113 and was able to study it more closely than I was able to from the photo I had in the Bulletin article. Therefore I want to add here some of my observations. This 12-size 19-jewel movement is among the last ones that Waltham made for Howard. (see also post #40) The late 12-size Waltham-Howards (serial numbers above 1-million) were from the serial number blocks indicated here on a portion of page 58 of the so-called "Gray Book"* I have added line numbers in red to the key "runs".

Graybook_p58.jpg

1. Most of this run are probably 23-jewel Riverside Maximus, as listed, but the last 50 movements appear to have been finished as 21-jewel hunting bridge movements for E.Howard Watch Co. and bear a Howard serial number on the barrel bridge. (see posts #46 to #49 above)

2. Possibly up to 40 of the last 100 movements of this run were finished as 12-size 21-jewel open-face bridge movements for E.Howard Watch Co. and bear a Howard serial number on the barrel bridge. (see post #50 above)

3. Based on the plate pattern and other details these 99 movements were originally produced for E. Howard & Co. but ended up being finished as 19-jewel Riverside grade hunting movements. See photo and jeweling note below. (see post #40)

4. These 100 movements, including my latest acquisition, were finished as 19-jewel hunting movements for E.Howard Watch Co. and bear a Howard serial number on the barrel bridge. All observed examples have had the Howard name removed, however most appear to have had the name crudely re-engraved. See photo and jeweling note below.

5. Based on the plate pattern and other details up to 150 of these movements were originally produced for E. Howard & Co. but ended up being finished as 19-jewel Riverside grade open-face movements, similar to the hunting movement shown below.

1030113red.jpg 12630058red.jpg

Jeweling Note: Waltham's standard production 19-jewel Riverside, by this time period, had a jeweled mainwheel and all train wheels had straight pivots. In the lower plate only the cap jewel settings were held with screws. However, the 19-jewel movements for the Howard contract did not have a jeweled mainwheel, instead having cap jewels at the escape wheel. The escape wheel jeweling is indicated with red arrows in the above photos. In #12,630,113 (Howard #1030113) from run No.4 you can see the cap jewels on the escape wheel. In #12,630,058 from run No.3 you can see the uncapped pivots at the escape wheel, but in the pillar plate the escape wheel jewel is (atypically) retained by screws, just as the jeweling was done in the movements finished for Howard. This to me is further evidence that these were initially machined for Howard before the final finishing that included a jeweled mainwheel.

Another point of interest is that these 19-jewel 12-size movements are higher grade than the earlier 17-jewel movements (#866,xxx). They have steel escape wheels and double-roller escapements as opposed to the single-roller escapements with brass escape wheels in the earlier (#866,xxx) 17-jewel movements. These 19-jewel movements (along with their 16-size counterparts) would appear to be the higher grade movements being discussed in the September 1903 letter that we cited in Appendix A of the Part 1 article. Evidently they were not ordered at that time but must have been included in the next round of Waltham-Howard production.

* Serial Numbers With Description of WALTHAM WATCH MOVEMENTS, published by the Waltham Watch Company in 1954

Last edited:

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
The more you see, the more you learn.

I was studying my 12-size Waltham-Howard movements some more this evening and noticed another construction quirk for the first time. Around 1903 Waltham started using friction balance staffs in their 12-size movements (somewhere in the 12-million serial number range); prior to this 12-size watches had riveted balance staffs.
The riveted staff balance wheel had different arms than the friction staff wheels.
fric_riv.jpg

All of the 12-size movements delivered to Howard had riveted staffs, but all of the movements from runs 3. and 5., which ended up finished and sold by Waltham, had the new-and-improved friction staff. You can see this difference in my movement photos in the previous post if you know what to look for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent