Waltham Guru's--HELP!

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Not far from South Park CO
Country
Region
So I've decided to give my adult children pocket watches for Christmas this year. Since I'm a Waltham fanboy the selection of manufacturer was a no brainer. It's even more fun since Waltham named their models for the year of patent, so since my first was born in 1983, he gets a Waltham '83. My second was born in 1988, yep he's getting a sweet '88. (I'll post pics if you want)

My problem is, my daughter was born the very next year, 1989. Now, I don't want to give her the same watch as her brother, so do I give her a '92? Or was there a ladies model that I don't know about that was made in 1889?

Any and all help/suggestions are always welcome.
Thanks in advance,

--Kenny

60MinuteMan

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2020
Country
if nothig comes up, you might have more options if you go by production dates rather than model number.
I know thats a step down but it's a thought. In any case that's a nice gesture on your part, enjoy !

Reactions: Kenny S.

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
Yes there is a Waltham model 1889. We're not exactly swimming in them but it's not exactly rare, either.

NAWCC-Info

P.S. If you're going to buy one (yes they are obtainable) then you should first buy one that is still in a case. Not a good idea to buy up a loose movement and then try to case it.
P.P.S. If I am remembering correctly, there are at least 2 flavours of '1889' with different plate layouts. The ones with a star on the back plate get an extra point for interestingness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny S.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Since the 1889 model is a 6-size watch, that is perfect for your daughter. Be aware, though, that one of the 1873-model plate patterns is almost identical. You have to pay attention to the location of the escape wheel pivot to tell the difference.
73-89.jpg

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Not far from South Park CO
Country
Region
Since the 1889 model is a 6-size watch, that is perfect for your daughter. Be aware, though, that one of the 1873-model plate patterns is almost identical. You have to pay attention to the location of the escape wheel pivot to tell the difference.
As always Jerry, your input is is invaluable. I would not have picked up on that slight difference. Thanks.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Honest, I'm not picky, Tom McIntyre handcuffed his collection to his wrist when he did a presentation for our chapter so I couldn't sneak into his room at night and "borrow" a few. I am envious, just can't seem to rationalize spending the money to get a cased '72 these days when people are selling 7 jewel, 12 size movements for $60 and not working.

60MinuteMan

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2020
Country
Just thinking when this is all said and done, it would make for a neat family photo, everyone sporting their watches.

Reactions: topspin
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boostedbox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool