Waltham Guru's--HELP!

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Kenny S., Oct 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenny S.

Kenny S. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Male
    Machinist
    Not far from South Park CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I've decided to give my adult children pocket watches for Christmas this year. Since I'm a Waltham fanboy the selection of manufacturer was a no brainer. It's even more fun since Waltham named their models for the year of patent, so since my first was born in 1983, he gets a Waltham '83. My second was born in 1988, yep he's getting a sweet '88. (I'll post pics if you want)

My problem is, my daughter was born the very next year, 1989. Now, I don't want to give her the same watch as her brother, so do I give her a '92? Or was there a ladies model that I don't know about that was made in 1889?

Any and all help/suggestions are always welcome.
    Thanks in advance,

--Kenny

2. 60MinuteMan

60MinuteMan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    if nothig comes up, you might have more options if you go by production dates rather than model number.
    I know thats a step down but it's a thought. In any case that's a nice gesture on your part, enjoy !

Kenny S. likes this.
  3. Kenny S.

Kenny S. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Male
    Machinist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have considered this. In fact, the whole idea started here with a friends watch. It just happens to work perfectly for 2 of my 3 kids by 1 century.

4. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 topspin, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Yes there is a Waltham model 1889. We're not exactly swimming in them but it's not exactly rare, either.

NAWCC-Info

P.S. If you're going to buy one (yes they are obtainable) then you should first buy one that is still in a case. Not a good idea to buy up a loose movement and then try to case it.
    P.P.S. If I am remembering correctly, there are at least 2 flavours of '1889' with different plate layouts. The ones with a star on the back plate get an extra point for interestingness.

Kenny S. likes this.
  5. Kenny S.

Kenny S. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Male
    Machinist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha! Awesome! Thanks Topspin, I use Tom's website for s/n lookups but hadn't used the search feature yet. Thanks for the headsup. I'll start looking.

6. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since the 1889 model is a 6-size watch, that is perfect for your daughter. Be aware, though, that one of the 1873-model plate patterns is almost identical. You have to pay attention to the location of the escape wheel pivot to tell the difference.
    73-89.jpg

PapaLouies, Kenny S. and viclip like this.
  7. Joe Blossic

Joe Blossic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Kenny, if you adopt me, I won't care what Waltham you give me :chuckling:

Kenny S. likes this.
  8. Kenny S.

Kenny S. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Male
    Machinist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As always Jerry, your input is is invaluable. I would not have picked up on that slight difference. Thanks.

9. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kenny, I was born in 1953 but you can give me an 1872 American grade in a 14K case, I'm not picky.

PapaLouies and Kenny S. like this.
  10. Kenny S.

Kenny S. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Male
    Machinist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was just gonna ask you for your address and send this to you, but it's just coin silver, not 14k. Sorry.

P1010837.JPG P1010836.JPG P1010835.JPG P1010833.JPG P1010830.JPG P1010829.JPG

Clint Geller and viclip like this.
  11. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Honest, I'm not picky, Tom McIntyre handcuffed his collection to his wrist when he did a presentation for our chapter so I couldn't sneak into his room at night and "borrow" a few. I am envious, just can't seem to rationalize spending the money to get a cased '72 these days when people are selling 7 jewel, 12 size movements for $60 and not working.

12. 60MinuteMan

60MinuteMan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just thinking when this is all said and done, it would make for a neat family photo, everyone sporting their watches.

topspin likes this.