American PW Waltham Grade 645 Model 1908: How Install Winding/Setting Parts?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Lee02, Feb 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lee02

Lee02 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2012
    My 645 has the part number 4732 14 set teeth - 15 clutch teeth positive setting clutch and the part number 4785 winding and setting arbor with the part number 4730 clutch. What is the trick to install this assembly into the movement? I have tried multiple ways to insert the assembly into its spot in the plate without success. If it helps, the estimated production year for this Model 1908 watch is 1908.

2. Ben S.

Ben S. Registered User

Dec 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Leo,

I just disassembled a 1912 3/0 Waltham on Saturday for cleaning, which I’ll get to tomorrow. I took pictures of each step so I’ll know how to put it back together. See the attached pictures, which I hope will come though in order. This will hopefully give you some idea of how it works.

This is only my second Waltham, so it may or may not match yours, I’m not sure. Best,

Ben

5C00B0ED-8FD1-4DA6-B74E-B4D740886A6D.jpeg 6BD1BE1A-7344-46A9-8735-8F093D2175E3.jpeg FDFD9033-D748-4F4C-B136-E3F82A0DC60E.jpeg 83E3645B-1D3D-4A5E-8907-09F0634E6DDD.jpeg FEAE5E93-B5C7-4DDE-85D0-4512670E06C5.jpeg 9B323D6B-D9A5-495E-84D1-BE0A625EADC0.jpeg 44186697-9FBB-490F-B9CD-23F5DEF9E7CA.jpeg

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The tolerances on these can be pretty tight so that it is not possible to insert the tip of the winding arbor (4785) into its socket in the winding arbor bearing (4792 or 4793) without first loosening the bearing from the dial side of the plate by removing the setting wheel cap (4734). I often insert the entire winding arbor, pinion, clutch and bearing as one unit. After replacing the barrel bridge it is sufficiently held in place to install the cap on the other side to finish the installation.
    (It looks like Ben got it right).

MrRoundel likes this.
  4. Lee02

Lee02 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Thanks Ben and Jerry! With the photos and your answers, I’m sure that I will now be able to install these parts.

5. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I place the winding pinion over a larger hole in my bench block upside down. Next I put a little grease on the teeth of the winding pinion.Then I drop the winding arbor through the pinion and into the bench-block hole. Then I slide the clutch over it as it should sit. Put a little clock oil on the plunger pin and drop it into position, all the while keeping the unit standing up. I then place the winding arbor bearing over the head of the plunger pin/bearing. Grab the assembly near the bench block and gently lift and drop it on its side. Then you can grab the inside square of the winding arbor, keeping it horizontal now, and carefully maneuver it in place. Maybe I'm making it more difficult that it is, but it's how I figured out how to do it.

I like Jerry's tip about the barrel bridge. My method would just confuse you. I'll be trying Jerry's barrel-bridge tip next time. Oh, and for that fine little shipper spring, I have found that using a half of a sandwich size plastic bag over the top after the shipper/lever are in position and the spring is not quite snapped on, will save you a lot of grief. It also minimizes plate scratches from tweezers. Just grab the spring through the bag while holding the shipper/lever down with a flattened piece ( Like slotted screwdriver tip.) of larger pegwood, and clip the spring into position. Let the bag move as you move the spring into position. I.E. don't put your palm on the bag to stop it from moving. I did that and it impedes progress. Don't let your pride get in the way of using the baggie. I use it on Swiss wristies, and now on Waltham shippers.

If you don't use the baggie trick then I suggest you do wear eye protection. Last week I had a spring bounce off the middle of my eyeball on the eye without the loupe. Luckily I found the spring on the floor, not sticking in my eye. So stuff can happen. If this just served to confuse the issue...never mind. Good luck.

6. Lee02

Lee02 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Thanks MrRoundel. I appreciate your advice!
    Having this message board gives the members access to a great wealth of experience so that we can help each other.

7. Lee02

Lee02 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I followed the advice about loosening the bearing from the dial side. Then the winding assembly slipped into place with a little effort.
    Again, thanks everyone for your help in solving this problem.