Waltham factory time capsule

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Richard Watkins, Mar 24, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Marsh notes that in 1900 a sealed box containing a few papers was put in the corner stone of the "North Tower".

Is it still there?

2. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Marsh notes that in 1900 a sealed box containing a few papers was put in the corner stone of the "North Tower".

Is it still there?

3. Modersohn

Modersohn Registered User

Nov 15, 2003
    If that would be the North Tower of the Waltham Watch Co., it was mentioned, I believe (although I may be mistaken) that that building was scheduled to be torn down.

I'll have to check that out.

Further information, Frank Menez wrote in a thread titled "Very, very bad news...":

" Posted October 10, 2005 16:35
    The Charles River Museum of Industry in Waltham Mass has made an attempt to have the new owners provide a part of the old factory for use as a museum for display of machines, watches and clocks etc that were used or manufactured at the factory. For the last several years the old factory was used for various business enterprises. I do not know at this time what the status of the factory is, however I will attempt to find out.

The following persons should be able to tell you what the status of the factory is.

George Collard 1 207 773 6803
    Dan Yeager CRMI Director 1 781 893 5410

15520 Chapter 8, 149, 159, 185,Web Horology, AHS,AWCI,
    GBWCC, MWCA,CRMI.Chapter 189"

The upshot of the thread was that it had not yet been decided what exactly would be torn down and what kept, but that possibly only the facade would remain. I haven't heard any further reports.

Is there any possibility the box might have been recovered?

Jessica

4. Modersohn

Modersohn Registered User

Nov 15, 2003
    That would be really fascinating, Frank. I wonder if there's undiscovered material in parts of the building that might not have been searched?

Let us know what you find!

Jessica